PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust for different elevations on your approach? (Math-wise)

USFman10
01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
For example, you are approaching a green that is 10yrds below your level. Is it generally recommended to go down a full club? Or just shoot at 90%? I am thinking there must a somewhat hard and fast rule with this. What do you guys generally shoot for? Thanks for the help!

Roughdawg4
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
You always want to go down or up a club when you can. It is always easier ( in advanced mode) to go 99-100% of the club. Sometimes you need to make a sacrifice and say hey I might not be able to reach the pin, but I can drop the ball 8ft in front of the cup.

USFman10
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Okay, but at what point in elevation difference do you usually decide it's best just to shoot it 90 or 95% versus going down a club? That's what is getting me all the time right now.

MasonR
01-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Usually hitting a 90% shot would get you less distance than dropping down one club and hitting that club full. I try to hit as many 100% or 99% shots as I can, as RD said sometimes it's better to settle for just short of the pin instead of trying to hit a club 95% and possibly screwing it up leaving you with a nasty putt. The 100% shot strategy is a good way to be consistently putting for a realistic birdie. If realistic, I'll hit my tee shot to a specific yardage so I know I'm hitting a full club in. A 63y approach is almost never as easy to pull off as a 90y ap which is about a sand wedge or powered sand wedge for most set ups. Keep this in mind while hitting tee shots, distance is nice but decide if it's necessary or not.

As for a elevation formula, you've got to factor and a lot of things, your lie %, what club you're hitting, what a character's spin stat is, what the wind is doing, what type of shot you want and where you want the ball to land and how it should roll out or spin.

A very basic example with no wind, a B spin stat, 150yards away to a flat green with a 99-100% ball lie, and say 5yards downhill, I'd hit a 147y shot with standard backspin. If you wanted a very crude estimate, I'd say for each 2yards uphill or downhill, add or subtract 1yard of power, but there's usually much more going on with a shot than that. You should also keep in mind your ball lie. If you're 150 out and hit a 147 club full, and then get a 98% lie you'll come up rather short.

USFman10
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely be thinking about these things. It seems there is not hard and fast rule for this but I'll just learn with experience... :)

Oh, and thanks Mason for the putting tips in other thread. My putting has improved tremendously and now I'm getting a pod in nearly every tournament!

The-Dreamcaster
01-08-2009, 04:53 AM
i agree with mace, is as far as trying to hit 100% of as many shots as possible. occassionally pressing circle for impact if i know 100% would be a bit long.
take into account the slope of the floor whether the number is red or blue.
Downhill slopes should cause the ball to flyat a lower trajectory, where as red, uphill slopes of the ball can cause it to fly very high. an example of when this is important is the first par 5 on peaks, in which you NEED an up slope to even contemplate hitting over the moutain, usually hitting about 250-260y on to the slight uphill section in front of the rough and raised section. I have hit over the moutain once with a down slope., but i did do it with a 5w, and sbs with Anya.
SBS can also cause shots to fly as well. can be useful for downhill shots, so when you hit the ground, it won't PING forward, but be prepared for it to travel a bit further.
SBS also has a habit of travelling WAY furhter with the wind behind the ball.
I had a 11y uphill shot on that massively uphill par 4 on peaks(hole 16 i think), and SBS caused the ball to fly spectacularly over the green. been known to hit 5-10y more with SBS on down slopes, EG 100y with 92 y chipper.

yunatidus4ever
01-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Awesome advice, thanks guys! ;)

J-Mod
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
From my experience, I think Mace is right on the money with his crude estimate for adding/subtracting 1 yd of distance for every 2 yds of elevation. So, if the green is 25 yds below you, and the pin is 180 yds away, your goal is to choose a club that goes about 167 yds. Although, if the green is elevated, I might add an extra yd or 2 to that formula. (I feel like the normal tendency is to come up short on uphill shots.) Obviously, the wind, your lie, the slope of the green, the character's tendency to hit high or med shots, and all those other factors need to be taken into account, too.

the_smug_one
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
The rough estimate Mace mentioned for elevation / distance adjustments is a good rule of thumb, but keep in mind that elevation becomes less relevant for closer range shots, and vice versa (i.e., from 55 yards your shot arc is generally high enough that you don't need to adjust distance based on elevation, but from 230 yards you're probably better off adjusting a full yard of distance for each yard of elevation).

Optimus_Prime
01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Lately I've kind of made a sliding scale for the clubs depending on the power and spin. For example, with Anya and inf/inf setup, her "mid-point" where I take 50% of the elevation yardage to add or subtract from distance is around 3I. The bigger clubs I use more of the elevation yardage until I get to 1W where it's not quite 1:1 (maybe 2/3 because of her spin). Down the other way, 8I is about 20%, and wedges (for Anya) would have barely any affect from elevation. Then I just scale this to other characters depending on their power and spin. It's not perfect, but I can do it in my mind quickly.

Basically find the club for the character you're using that gets the midpoint (50% or elevation) and adjust for the other clubs accordingly, though do remember that 3I-5W and PW-9I are bigger transitions. And of course low power and spin characters will have a lower midpoint (more like around a 6I) and be full elevation yardage on most woods (probably more on 1W). If anyone has a more mathematical approach, I'd love to hear it!

Ragefire18
01-09-2009, 06:16 AM
I struggle a bit with the elevations and the lie/wind now and then, it's good to know what you guys do ;) Personally i adjust more laterally for the lie with longer clubs too than with irons ( especially uphill ), dunno if that helps you too....

EDIT : uphill lies i mean not uphill shots ;)

clint_westwood
01-09-2009, 06:56 AM
yes and bear in mind that if you are going for SBS that adds a bit of height too......im thinking

anya crowns hole 15 par 3 its 4.8y up say at 204y if you haev a club that hits that subject to wind, then with sbs you should be ok, hence why most people end up in the front bunker due to not getting the PI i think, the same can kinda be said for peaks hole no 2.......

although i tend to just play SSS and come in from the side slope to the green and avoid the front bunker