PDA

View Full Version : Speed golf game

Marrow_Farmer
01-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I timed a round at Highland (reg tee) last night at 8mins 26seconds (started clock at first tap for first shot, stopped at last putt dropping). The only problem was I only scored -16. I was thinking maybe some sort of punishment for every shot over -18 or -22, say 10 or 20 seconds per shot. There would then be a tough trade off between speed and accuracy.

Anyone interested in taking up the speed challenge or any thoughts on refining these rules before we start posting times?

OthersGirl
01-22-2009, 06:06 AM
The time penalty for additional strokes is a great idea. Really. Otherwise people wouldnt bother TRYING to do well, and the point would be lost. Its not how fast do you golf, but how fast can you golf and still do WELL.

I wouldnt make it for every shot over -16 or so. Otherwise, it's really only a game for g0s LOL. Give the little people a chance too. :) sounds like fun to me :)

gorgeousdre
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Well, I don't like the idea of penalties for this because you ARE penalized for missing a putt because no matter how fast you press X there is always that 2 second pause where the ball is still. I would think that for a speed challenge it is all about the time itself. Additional penalties are redundant.

Roughdawg4
01-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I like it, it sounds different. I am a little confused by the rules about -18 or -22. Can you explain it a little better please :)

BeEmerson
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I like it, it sounds different. I am a little confused by the rules about -18 or -22. Can you explain it a little better please :)

You would need to achieve a minimum score (-18 or whatever) to avoid having penalty time added.

Roughdawg4
01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't understand how the penalty time is assessed though?

the_smug_one
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Arithmetic maybe?

yasdad
01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm with Dre on the penalties: missing a putt is a time penalty in itself as yo0u have to wait for the game to sort itself out and then line up the next one. And poor approach play is penalised by having to put more thinking time into considering your shot :)

ISUZorro
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Great idea! Sounded like fun so I gave it a try, -19 7min 45secs, it was fun just going on feel the whole time, I was amazed at how many near miss approach eagles I had, way more than when I'm really thinking about it - this is highlands after all, of course it screwed up some of the holes (bogey on 11), but that's to be expected.

I'm curious to see the amazing scores the legends will probably put up

Marrow_Farmer
01-23-2009, 04:08 AM
I'm with Dre on the penalties: missing a putt is a time penalty in itself as yo0u have to wait for the game to sort itself out and then line up the next one. And poor approach play is penalised by having to put more thinking time into considering your shot :)

This is true but have you ever played Highland without making any line up changes, you'd be amazed at how low you can actually go. I figured throwing in the penelties might make things more interesting. Looks like the game averages around 8-9 seconds per shot so if you add 10 seconds for every shot over -18 and maybe subtract 10 seconds for every shot under -18. Give a little more interest than just hitting quick

With those rules we would have the following scores so far:

Me = 8min 46secs
ISUZorro = 7min 35secs

Like Zorro says though, some of you guys will shoot like -25 in 7mins ;D

yasdad
01-23-2009, 04:28 AM

This is true but have you ever played Highland without making any line up changes, you'd be amazed at how low you can actually go. I figured throwing in the penelties might make things more interesting. Looks like the game averages around 8-9 seconds per shot so if you add 10 seconds for every shot over -18 and maybe subtract 10 seconds for every shot under -18. Give a little more interest than just hitting quick

With those rules we would have the following scores so far:

Me = 8min 46secs
ISUZorro = 7min 35secs

Like Zorro says though, some of you guys will shoot like -25 in 7mins ;D

Actually, I guess you're right for Highland - just hitting the default shot that shows up with a split-second thought for the putting is probably going to give you a half-decent round anyway. SP or Crown would defnitely be a different matter entirely.

If the wife has finished with her Mahjong, I might give this a try this-evening :)

The-Dreamcaster
01-23-2009, 05:06 AM
i did highland 9 out in 4 mins and 23 seconds with a score of -11 last night. Video evidence would be nice, we could have some sort of challenge on this.

OthersGirl
01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Now Im going to have to do that course and see what kind of score and time I get. LOL Game on, Dreamy LOL ;) Though, i bet you get a higher score than me ;) Wonder if i can, at the very least, beat your TIME, though?