PDA

View Full Version : Podium Martyrs.

The-Dreamcaster
01-30-2009, 03:38 AM
Ok, i find this stupid..
Sometimes at the ends of tourns, people leave tourns to give a pod to some1 else at G0 level. WHY?
People should have to earn there pods, not be rewarded for playing not quite good enough.. Whats worse, is the people who give up, think there being all nice and doing something nice.
Its just rubbish tbh. i've been asked a few times if i want a pod, and i have said no EVERYTIME. if i didn't make it, i didn't make it end of. i feel a message should be put across that that giving up a pod isn't self-righteous or anyway cool.

cartman1337
01-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Does this happen often? In my 100 G0 tournaments I can only remember it happening once, and then it moved me from 7th to 6th place. Since there was 31 players in the tournaments I was already safe on a podium, so I didn't really care, but I still found it odd. I've never gained a pod that way, and I wouldn't really want to either. Just didn't think it was a big problem at G0 either. ???

The-Dreamcaster
01-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Nathy seems to think it is a good idea of late. I remember Kbbong used to do it a bit too.

MasonR
01-30-2009, 03:53 AM
I don't see why anyone who themselves don't need people to give up pods would have a problem with this. It doesn't effect you in any way. Do you really have a problem if someone who played one spot short of a pod gets those 2 pts? I hope you're not running around giving people crap for having 2-3 pods in 40 games and telling them they didn't deserve it, or you're worried that someone with a similar record as yours gets one more podium finish than you through someone else quitting.

People have asked me for a podium before and I've given it to them, some people like to play G0 even if it's a bit out of their current league so they can watch better players and learn how they do things. If there are some shots I want saved or it was a good round I keep it, otherwise I could care less. That's not to say I do it all the time, but I could really care less if I have 150 pods or 130 pods.

Sometimes I've quit out early so I can make the next tournament that starts in 1 minute and going through the finalization process after a pod takes an extra 20 seconds that would cause me to miss the tournament, or there's one starting in 4 minutes on Minna and I came up short of a win, I'd rather have a shot at another win instead of missing out because I kept a podium finish I don't need. I've also been disgusted with a missed opportunity for a win and just turn off the PS3 or quit out before the game officially ended. Don't automatically assume people are doing it for that specific reason, although if they are it shouldn't be a problem for you.

No one is thinking they're self-righteous or cool by giving a podium, (and you're not cool for calling people out on it). I don't run around the lobby and tell people I gave away a podium, I don't think anyone does, so why would you think people are getting all high and mighty after giving away a pod?

I'm dumbfounded though, why is this an issue for you?

Nathy seems to think it is a good idea of late. I remember Kbbong used to do it a bit too.

?

Don't take this the wrong way, but were you playing G0 when kb was here? He sold his copy of OOB shortly after he started playing Minna.

cartman1337
01-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Yeah, the one time I noticed it it was you, Mason, who quit, from a 2nd or 3rd place. Didn't really get it at the time, but now I understand your priorities, and I have no problem understanding that, considering your skill. ;D

I don't really have a big issue about this myself, but I must say I agree with Dreamcaster on his point too; if I didn't get the pod space properly, I wouldn't be as satisfied with a give-away pod as I would with a real pod. ;)

MasonR
01-30-2009, 04:04 AM
That's understandable if someone personally doesn't want a freebie pod, but why would anyone with secure G0 status have a problem with other people getting it?

The-Dreamcaster
01-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Quote from: The-Dreamcaster on Today at 04:47 AM

?

Don't take this the wrong way, but were you playing G0 when kb was here? He sold his copy of OOB shortly after he started playing Minna.

Just about..
i spose it doesn't affect me, but i don't think it helsp people improve and they lose out of other peoples satisfaction, in hindsight, its problem a pointless thread thats a bit inflammatory. i'll lock it.

Roughdawg4
01-30-2009, 05:24 AM
I think I have heard Mason quit before to give someone a win, am I right on that?

If that is true, I wouldn't really say its doing something bad for that person. If you beat everyone but Mason, that is a good day :) So if you got number 1 because say he wanted you to get your first G0 win, I wouldn't really view that as cheap.