PDA

View Full Version : blue bars next 2 ball

nathyboy11
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
what is the blue bars next 2 the ball?what does it do to the shot?

HoTHiTTeR
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Ignore me, read Mason's post below...

http://www.hothitter.info/hsglie.jpg

The-Dreamcaster
02-03-2009, 03:48 PM
i always assumed this when i looked but i never fully know, i'm guessing the vertical bar is do with the trajectory and height of the ball, so with players with variety in trajectory stats will have this change too.

Roughdawg4
02-03-2009, 03:48 PM
dude nice closeup picture :)

MasonR
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
EDIT: And here's some <i>correct</i> info.

The yellow gauge is an indicator of how much sidespin you can apply to the shot (which surprisingly doesn't change all that much from club to club), not the control dispersion. This makes sense because why the heck have two control related gauges. Although characters with a curve still seem predisposed to missing on one side.

As cartman said, the blue gauge is an indicator of the amount of spin you can apply to the ball, although it doesn't seem to serve useful in determining if you can backspin a shot or not (remember your spin stat kids!). The lower the bottom of the blue line is, the more spin you can apply to it, the higher it is, less spin can be applied (or if you will, more topspin). This goes back to that angle of decent with the club head, and how it's still basically trumped by common knowledge of golf physics.

HoTHiTTeR
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
dude nice closeup picture :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/2233933172_66a16910ea_o.jpg

ftw.

The-Dreamcaster
02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Wait, what?
HSG isn't it a perfect simulation of Golf?
Makes sense with the trajectory thing, i'll go have a look at some point and see how it changes with characters and there clubs.
I always got the feeling that Toro has a massively high trajectory, but they maybe down to his diminutiveness.

the_smug_one
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Trajectory is a direct product of spin rating. Toro's trajectory probably does look a bit steeper given his size, but it's actually lower than say Suz, Fern, Alex... etc.

MasonR
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Toro's size accounts for a lot of problems, personally I have a lot of trouble reading the wind with him.

cartman1337
02-04-2009, 02:02 AM
As for the blue bar, I'm guessing it is the impact zone for top and back spins. If you hit PI with BS the blue marker on the ball is not always at the very bottom at the ball. I'm guessing the blue line has something to do with how much spin it is possible to apply to the ball based on its lie. The picture above then seems to be very well lied for topspin, but won't be able to get full back spin.

Just a guess, though. Am I on the wrong track?

MasonR
02-04-2009, 02:37 AM
The picture above is with a driver off the tee, so that's about right.

And you're spot on cartman, I went back and took another look after reading your comment.

The yellow gauge is an indicator of how much sidespin you can apply to the shot (which surprisingly doesn't change all that much from club to club), not the control dispersion. This makes sense because why the heck have two control related gauges. Although characters with a curve still seem predisposed to missing on one side.

As cartman said, the blue gauge is an indicator of the amount of spin you can apply to the ball, although it doesn't seem to serve useful in determining if you can backspin a shot or not (remember your spin stat kids!). The lower the bottom of the blue line is, the more spin you can apply to it, the higher it is, less spin can be applied (or if you will, more topspin). This goes back to that angle of decent with the club head, and how it's still basically trumped by common knowledge of golf physics.

It's actually pretty easy to remember, there are three break points for spinning clubs.

Spin stat - effect

D (Nick, LJ) can only sbs 5iron, nothing lower with base spin. No other characters have spin this low and it spin can't be lowered through any combination of clubs. Not a break point, more of a starting point.

C minus, point for spinning a 4iron with sbs.
A minus (anything more than base A), enough to spin 3iron and 5w with sbs
SS (beyond max point, you can't actually see it on stats, gotta do the math yourself to figure it out), enough to spin a 4w

smug messaged me a few days ago with some intriguing results. Alex with Big Mag/Inf can only spin a 3iron and 5w if hitting 100% power on those shots with sbs, 99% yields no spin. These results would hold the same for any character with the same spin stat (which is either between A minus and A).

Hope I articulated that well enough, feel free to ask any questions.

the_smug_one
02-04-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm actually inclined to think sidespin range and control dispersion have much in common. Given a particular lie, sidespin range should provide you with the spectrum of potential trajectories, and this should be the basis of control dispersion, no? This would also explain why miss-hits by players with a draw / fade tend to favor their natural shot trajectory.

The-Dreamcaster
02-04-2009, 05:10 AM
interesting. you learn some new about this game every day on this forum.
i did try on the practice range with 4w dino turbospin-turbospin and you can get backspin with a 4w, and pretty decent stop with a 3 w..

S- to S spin seems to have little advantage over A-A+ spin.
S+ like Dino Inf/Inf has the only realy advantage

MasonR
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
The only noticeable advantage of S spin over A would be the ability to backspin a 6iron with ssbs (also you could get away with less than a full shot and still sbs 5w/3iron. Dino can ssbs spin a 5iron, btw.

The-Dreamcaster
02-05-2009, 06:41 AM
in all honesty, there isn't very often where the advantage of ssbs-ing a 5i over a 6i is that useful.. but i spose it gives you more of a chance to stop the ball on a spot.

J-Mod
02-05-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm so glad somebody finally asked about those yellow and blue meters. I had no idea what they were for.

Honest question: Is there a way to measure vertical lie angle? Obviously, I look at my left/right angle as measured by the lines that move under my ball at the bottom right. But what about the up/down angle? For example, we know to hit the drive on Peaks #4 to about 250 yds so you can make it over the mountain on the approach shot. But how do you really measure your vertical angle? Do you tap R2 to watch your character from a side angle and then just eyeball it? Is there any indicator with moving lines? Or do you just make an assumption based on your understanding of the course (like I do)?

Reezellthia
02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm so glad somebody finally asked about those yellow and blue meters. I had no idea what they were for.

Honest question: Is there a way to measure vertical lie angle? Obviously, I look at my left/right angle as measured by the lines that move under my ball at the bottom right. But what about the up/down angle? For example, we know to hit the drive on Peaks #4 to about 250 yds so you can make it over the mountain on the approach shot. But how do you really measure your vertical angle? Do you tap R2 to watch your character from a side angle and then just eyeball it? Is there any indicator with moving lines? Or do you just make an assumption based on your understanding of the course (like I do)?

The number above the ball is the degrees of the vertical lie. Red for uphill, blue for downhill. The higher the red number, the higher the trajectory.

Reezellthia
02-05-2009, 08:38 AM
"smug messaged me a few days ago with some intriguing results. Alex with Big Mag/Inf can only spin a 3iron and 5w if hitting 100% power on those shots with sbs, 99% yields no spin. These results would hold the same for any character with the same spin stat (which is either between A minus and A)."

Thats a really useful bit of info. I always wondered why sometimes I never got SBS with say a 4 iron with gloria, even when I've upped her spin stat. Because I used circle to power adjust damnit.

RK1997
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
i didnt have a clue about those bars thx e1

OthersGirl
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Wait, what?
HSG isn't it a perfect simulation of Golf?

Yup. Perfect simulation of golf. Love going golfing in the real world and nailing those risers and homers! lololololololool

BeEmerson
02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I've had multiple water skips in route to a green in regulation by skulling a pitching wedge just perfectly (I'm not good at real golf) ;) After the skips (maybe six or so), the ball hit a large rock on the other side, popped straight up, and landed softly inside of 15 feet. Only managed a par but the 150 extra points helped alot ;D No risers or homers yet though :)