PDA

View Full Version : I heart SSBS

J-Mod
02-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Well, I finally forced myself to try super-side backspin on the approach. No more just up and down on the controller - time to hit the diagonals. Well, I have been missing out. SSBS is the shiznit. Here's 4 reasons to use it instead of SBS:

1) As I stated in another thread, if you hit the pin, the ball will spiral into the cup nearly 100% of the time. Homing shots are much less reliable (although much higher-scoring usually).

2) Most importantly, if the green is slanted left or right or the wind is very strong to one side, you can reduce a lot of that sideways movement when the ball bounces on the green. For example, if the green is tilted to the left, you're much better off approaching the green with a slice rather than a straight shot. The ball's going to bounce significantly to the left, so you may as well approach the green with a left-to-right motion to take away some of that. This helps you stick it close to the pin MUCH more consistently.

3) If you don't need a heck of a lot of backspin, but you still want to hit PI, use SSBS. Super side backspin (please correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't suck the ball back quite as far as regular super backspin does. In other words, DON'T use SSBS on Crown #4. In some cases, you need all the backspin you can get.

4) It's actually easier to hit PI with super side backspin. Maybe it's just me, but I was putting up some very high PI numbers last night with this new technique. I typically hit around 40%, but I broke 65% perfect impact on multiple occasions last night using SSBS consistently for the first time.

In short, I've been missing out. Do not fear the funky special diagonal shots. They are indeed your friend.

Roughdawg4
02-11-2009, 06:36 AM
I have been using SSBS alot more on OT2 instead of SBS and it has been bringing me more success :)

ghost33
02-11-2009, 06:40 AM
unfortunately i use super backspin on most of my shots even the drivewr as well.i like holding certain spots on the golf course.Its all about postioning boys.

cartman1337
02-11-2009, 06:48 AM
You've really put some good work into your testing, J-Mod. Very nice! :) A couple of things there I haven't thought too much about either, even though I use SSBS a lot. :)

clint_westwood
02-11-2009, 06:51 AM
i always use SSBS into the relevent green slope

Kbongg
02-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I pretty much only use the SSBS for awkward bunker shots. Can't tell you how many times that has saved a tourny for me.

the_smug_one
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Great points J-Mod. Don't agree with #4, but the rest are spot on.

MasonR
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, #4 is... Well if it's a psychological thing then run with it.

Good to see you took to the advice in the other thread. <

Just keep in mind that with an S spin stat the longest club you can spin with ssbs is a 6iron (Dino, maybe others with TSpin clubs) can ssbs backspin a 5iron. Don't hit it with a 3iron and be surprised when it doesn't spin for you.

I think you should also start practicing regular backspin shots. Holding down at impact and nothing else, no sbs. With good spin you can still red spin a 9iron with PI, and even miss hitting a SW/PW can yield red spin. Ever see a x7 homer from missing PI? Good stuff.

gorgeousdre
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
I only use SSBS if I have to go around an obstacle. Other than that, it is SBS on every shot other than chips, and if I want to get some roll distance on my drives. As far as approaches go it is SBS no matter what. If I miss PI at least I still have some backspin.

MasonR
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
No u!

The-Dreamcaster
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I only use SSBS if I have to go around an obstacle. Other than that, it is SBS on every shot other than chips, and if I want to get some roll distance on my drives. As far as approaches go it is SBS no matter what. If I miss PI at least I still have some backspin.

i'm pretty much teh same as this. i probably over-use the SBS feature.. but i do admit i have had bit of success with shots like this

p1um5mu991er
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
it's an awful habit that i'm desperate to break (sbs)
i try to mix in a couple of sts shots a round for a goof
it's so silly to hear that "excellent" sound effect when you get a nice backspin zip ON THE FAIRWAY wtf

The-Dreamcaster
02-11-2009, 01:16 PM
it's an awful habit that i'm desperate to break (sbs)
i try to mix in a couple of sts shots a round for a goof
it's so silly to hear that "excellent" sound effect when you get a nice backspin zip ON THE FAIRWAY wtf

i got much worse the other day.
Anya says "See dat" only for it to land in the rough and behind some Rustletastic grass. 4.9ys away. annoying. I play a few STS shots too, generally on highland though.

J-Mod
02-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only G0 out there with a number of wins under his belt who has been ignoring the diagonal spin shots. It is an uncomfortable shot to hit at first (kinda like the rabbit and turtle) but it gets much more intuitive if you force yourself to use it again and again. I highly recommend it.

So, my question to Dre and Dreamcaster and to anyone else out there who uses SBS exclusively: how many spiral shots are in your video library right now. I have none (all mine have come in training mode). But that will change soon.

p1um5mu991er
02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
i MAY have three or four spirals that i kept in the library, and i probably used them because the risk was low or i was too far behind in a tournament to win

stuff like a toro spiral ace on peaks 17, i think the pin was comfortably in the middle of the green, i figured, what the hell

it's definitely worth doing during a g0 to get comfortable with, and it really matters if the slope/pin/wind combination calls for one
which imo isn't that often

The-Dreamcaster
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
So, my question to Dre and Dreamcaster and to anyone else out there who uses SBS exclusively: how many spiral shots are in your video library right now. I have none (all mine have come in training mode). But that will change soon.

i have 1 spiral shot, from about 12yards.
only 4 homing shots mind.

Scotty9678
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
This should be fun...

I'm kinda like Mace

IN THAT - what he said in the other thread, I use all the spins, on the easy courses I use a of just bs, especially if it's a 'tweener app shot I'd rather be 10 feet short and make the bird then try to perfectly get 94-96 w/the next club up on the app to bspin back into the point rings.

I'm trying to incorporate more ssbs into my game, but my big prob is if you don't hit PI it a lot of times the ball doesn't come back all the way to the hole, it stays pretty far left or right, but if you TRY to just do SBS and miss PI it's still a straight shot and assuming your aim was good you should still be in line with the hole.

Hope that made sense...

J-Mod
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Agreed. On the easier courses where the greens are pretty flat, using regular SBS is probably the safest choice. (Except for Highland #8 - a surprisingly tough green for that course.) But, as long as you're not off the green, putting from 15 ft at Highland is about as easy as putting from 3 ft anyway.

gorgeousdre
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Only 5 spirals.
I guess I will randomly hit SSBS when I'm just goofing off. I will just hit different kinds of shots for no reason. If I'm being serious it is 90% SBS.

KRONZZZ
02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I almost always just use sbs only unless im messing about, going around something or if im in the sand then ill use the ssbs alot of time. On occasion i use it on an approach if the wind is right.

Mutard
02-12-2009, 11:01 PM
You mentioned something funny there mod, that you get pi more often using ssbs as opposed to sbs. I know it may sound weird but I get that too but on super side spins. I'd say I tend to hit pi about twice as much when attempting those.
As far as SSBS goes I used to use them a lot but I dont really any more. I think because they are not as reliable to stick as sbs shots. Then again I've been playing this game so damn long I don't ever really think about any of the shots I am making, I just do what feels right. It's pretty much second nature anymore and I think that sometimes puts me at a disadvantage when playing against all you foks that obviously do quite a bit of math for each shot. Well that and the fact that I almost always go for the crazy 1 in a million shots as opposed to the safe ones. Its makes the game so much more fun when you actually get them to work. :)