PDA

View Full Version : G0 last night at Oceania......

clint_westwood
11-14-2008, 05:29 AM
right lets get some input onto this from the experts, was playing last night G0 OCEANIA KRATOS STD/STD/ LT/ STRONG WIND/NO BACKSPIN.......

now i managed to shoot -17 and win by 5 shots but heres the thing i had 5 eagles in the one round

hole no 1 par 4, hole 2 par 5, hole 4 par 4, hole 11 par 5, hole 13 par 4.......

now i know its no big beal getting eagles at par5s with or without SBS of course but do you ever think that the computer feels sorry for you and sends you on a crazy run of eagles??

for instance hole no 4 i had 168 to the pin, 1.5y uphill and wind behind me at 1' o clock at 4mph..just hit a standard 163y club i think and hey presto jumped off fringe lucky bounce and ran down to cup.....

i started to think that ok i aint won a G0 tour for a few weeks.....hmmmm sympathy from EGWT because i also had about 3 other par 4's where i finished less than 0.5 from cup.......i was getting dogs abuse in the leaderboard chat!!!

also it's got me thinking more......do we always need to go SBS on approaches?, should be maybe just allow wind and slope of green to do the work more often?

Roughdawg4
11-14-2008, 05:38 AM
I don't think there is any kind of luck stat in the game, I think you get lucky and get the breaks and sometimes you don't.

Just like me for oceania 18 holes in the league. I was so mad because the 230 Yard Par 3 on Oceania, I hit it with homing it activated and on the first homing attempt, sailed past the pin 25 feet away from the cup. I am glad I got a birdie because it pisses me off when homing activates and you end up with a par because it flies so far away :(

clint_westwood
11-14-2008, 05:45 AM
yeah i know the feeling dawg mate, your heart jumps as you hear that lovely pin smash and everything goes in slow motion......your thinking please home please home please home..................oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh FFS clap hanz

i had same on hole 10 at crowns, failed on 2nd homing but got birdie from 12 ft.......just as well i had no chance of winning........

kinda takes the wind out your sails i think!!

rowdybusch
11-14-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't think there is any kind of luck stat in the game, I think you get lucky and get the breaks and sometimes you don't.

Just like me for oceania 18 holes in the league. I was so mad because the 230 Yard Par 3 on Oceania, I hit it with homing it activated and on the first homing attempt, sailed past the pin 25 feet away from the cup. I am glad I got a birdie because it pisses me off when homing activates and you end up with a par because it flies so far away :(

Yes Roughdawg that was a crazy pin smash, failed homing shot.
All I saw was your ball go sailing down the hill after you hit the pin.
You recovered nicely by sinking the long putt.

Roughdawg4
11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
I was like yeah baby, I haven't gotten an ace on that hole yet. Its a hard one 230 yards out and the moment I saw the homing not going super fast I knew it would miss the pin.

What a cruel feature. I mean its bad enough if homing doesnt activate it, just dont punish me for it as well.

the_smug_one
11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Sucks to hear your homing on the long par 3 Oceania (in) failed Roughdawg. To be honest though, given the slope of that green I'd guess that upwards of 90% of homing shots there fail - there's just WAY too much slope.

MasonR
11-14-2008, 03:08 PM
also it's got me thinking more......do we always need to go SBS on approaches?, should be maybe just allow wind and slope of green to do the work more often?

People who use nothing but sbs are just asking for trouble, imo. There are plenty of other shots you can play, and more than half the time you'd be better served playing a different type of shot than sbs. Yes, sometimes it's called for, Crown Novice comes to mind, and some apps on Peaks, but on the other courses you could play an entire "Perfect" round without having to rely on sbs.

What i hate to see is someone have a perfect distance for a wedge (say 92 or so) and they automatically go for sbs then end up with a miss PI and 96%, dumping it short of the green, or they don't adjust for the wind, or they don't realize that the ball will fly further, or they get a ridic homing fail and then claim they got unlucky. There's a dozen other methods to use. I see people freak out in gamerooms when I ues topspin on an approach "omg you can't hold green", yes, yes you can. Or even just regular bs is a better option a lot of the time. Last night I had two hole outs at Okinawa with just regular PI backspin. Spin still activates, but it doesn't react as wildly as sbs. There's no point difference between red and blue homings, btw.

Spin is flashy, but not as practical as a lot of people think.

No luck stat in the game, game doesn't feel sorry for you, sometimes things just happen like that.

the_smug_one
11-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I think a large part of SBS's popularity is driven by the allure of chasing that magical, 15x homing shot.

Admittedly, I'm still a bit timid about using STS on approach, but I'll frequently use SSS/SBS or even just SSS throughout the course of a round. I tend to shy away from using non super spin shots (for TS, BS or SS), but this is probably yet another reason that I'm far from great at this game.

Roughdawg4
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah SBS is deadly when you aiming with an PW, 9I, etc.

Too much spin can happen and if the wind if bad the ball can really carry. I will use SBS if the wind is going right at me or away because i will be aiming for the pin, but sometimes i usually deviate to a SSBS or a STS. I really am getting used to the STS, it is really the best option when you are within a 100 yards and you have good aim.

Roughdawg4
11-14-2008, 03:32 PM
yeah you really should practice using STS. I think the main reason people shy away from it is you need to calculate alot more information. The rise to the hole, inclines on the green, slope of the green.

All of these have a great effect on a STS ball. It really takes a while because it is difficult to master, but when you do I promise you will hole out more.

ChaoticCry
11-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I know in my arena match with Cars, my HIO was a shot that I hit short and let roll. 211 yrd to pin, it hit fairway at 196 yrd, then followed the break to the cup, For his alby, he had the slighest backspin, but since his approach was dead on, the ball only need like 2ft of backspin. Two great shots, two different ways to go about it.

But like Mace said, there are times where SBS isnt the best option, as some do not take every aspect into consideration. A perfect example is Oceania hole 5. So many people always try to go over the bar. And so many end up OB. Ive come to a point where I play one of 4 shots to get a chance at eagle. It mainly just depends on the wind. I may not always eagle, but I definitely have fewer OB/WH than I used to have. And you know, birdie isnt a bad option there either.

I dont use alot of STS, but I do have a few holes where I feel it is invaluable. I think its my least used spin, although I do use regular topspin a bit more. It may not roll as far, but sometimes less is better.

Roughdawg4
11-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I use most of the shots pretty evenly. But when you are going for the 230 yard par 3 at oceania, SBS is pretty much the only option.

gorgeousdre
11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I use SBS 85-90% of the time and I have NEVER EVER EVER used triangle or circle. Not even in practice...EVER

Doylev
11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm SBS most of the time...SBS/SSS the other half. STS for chips mostly. I use triangle/circle 80% of the time. Never happy w/ my initial power set lol.

ElectroFox
11-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Looking from my long eagles in videos, actually around half of them are not sbs (not perfect impact). Like few days ago i got ace with Wood4, after all the iron3 tries, now that kept me wondering too if sbs always important?

cartman1337
11-16-2008, 06:24 AM

Ha! I got a hole-in-one on that very hole last night, long tee even (hole 12). 232y to the hole, 4m wind coming in at an angle towards me. I hit it with PI, Super Side/Back Spin with a 220y club powered up to 230y, and hit 100%. Didn't hit the pin, but the ball rolled quite slowly towards the cup, hit the fringe, took about two round around the fringe (not enough for backdoor points) and fell in. :)

As to the whole question of is SBS is actually needed; I'm not sure. The match play matches I've done, with no backspin rule applied, I've done pretty much as good as I've done them WITH backspin. Granted, we didn't play Crown, but often you can very well hold the green without any kind of backspin. Sometimes it's enough with just sidespin to help the ball spin somewhat diagonally on the green, rather than straight. If you come in a an angle where the green is wider than it is long (from where you stand), that can be very helpfull. In fact, I've managed to hold the green of Crown #13 more often with sidespin than with backspin (but tend to use a combination of both anyway). So I guess that its importance is not as high as many would think, but on some holes it's certainly crucial...

MasonR
11-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Why would you never use circle or triangle?

Roughdawg4
11-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah I am suprised you don't use O or triangle either dre. I practically survive on it. I would say 95% of the time I use it.

Especially when you either want to make sure you got 100% or you want a little less than 100%. Its a rare occasion when I use the X button.

Morpheus
11-16-2008, 01:48 PM
out of the hundreds of rounds i've played, i've only tried triangle/circle on ONE shot, and it threw off my whole timing of my impact. Haven't touched it since! I'm with dre....

kumanzc
11-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I only use circle which I do use probably 3 or 4 times a round but to be perfectly honest I actually doubt that it has any affect on my shots.  I am too lazy to ever go to the training range to see if the distance is actually affected.

rinoshark
11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
im shocked dre doesnt use triangle or circle. i never use X. never. maybe .01% of the time. its either 100% or slightly less for me. people ask me why i hit triangle everytime on a drive, and all i can say is, WHY NOT!!? But besides that, i hate sbs. i wish it could be deleted from the game. homings rarely work, almost always fly wildly past the pin after the first smash. im not innocent of using it, but more so than anyone i know, i try to either roll it in, or smash the pin with an uphill slope. it ALWAYS depends on the slope of the green for me. many of u know i love playing w no bs, its more challenging, its more interesting, and if you can figure out how to get close to the pin w/o blue flames, the whole sbs blue homing fag spin will bore u to death.

rinoshark
11-16-2008, 02:07 PM
i hate players w a hitch in their swing. kratos, lj, suzuki. i usally miss 100% 3 times, then just imagine hitting it slightly early just to hit the gd thing, then triangle. not to mention, you hit it w/ 100% power, and you only get 99% off the fairway, don't tell me it doesn't make you feel better about hitting triangle. you GOTTA have 100%, and you see 99%?????? for gods sake, hit triangle for ur health at least

Roughdawg4
11-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah my default is usually traingle, instead of X.

I know for some people it might be hard to do, but it is a benefit to use. And the variation on advanced mode is 1& and traditional is 2%-3%.

Morpheus
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
....you GOTTA have 100%, and you see 99%?????? for gods sake, hit triangle for ur health at least

lol...never thought of it like that. I may give it a shot....

cars123456789
11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
yup i use the o button alot to. i think u need it to be fair, it take a few yards off and that can came in handy on some holes.

rowdybusch
11-17-2008, 09:15 AM
I can say that I never have used circle or triangle...
I am so used to pressing X that I never even think of using circle or triangle.

I think I should start practicing those shot, it could help me improve even more.

the_smug_one
11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Just to clarify - if you hit a full shot (100% swing) but only get 99% impact (e.g., from the fairway), pressing triangle doesn't get you back that 1% impact.

Roughdawg4
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
yes you are correct.

The Traingle/O only affects your power percentage, not your lie percentage.

rinoshark
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
i only meant that it will make you feel better knowing you hit triangle. for gods sake rd, im trying to spread some hope here!!!!