PDA

View Full Version : Best tournament times

yasdad
11-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Hmmm, I've been playing 3 weeks now and have, for the past week or so, been trying to enter tournament to maybe improve my rank. I've played several so far, but each time there's been no more than 5 players! Obviously I'm not goning to get anywhere by playing these tournaments (except for some practice).

Any suggestions as to the best times to find tournaments where there's a decent entry list? If you can answer, please let me know which time zone you're talking about, thanks :)

Ragefire18
11-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I think that around 4-5pm gmt numbers begin to increase and you should be getting at least the 10 you need from around then.

yasdad
11-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I think that around 4-5pm gmt numbers begin to increase and you should be getting at least the 10 you need from around then.

Oh, damn - That's just about the worst possible time for me :D Looks like I won't be advancing any time soon then :D Thanks for your reply :)

clint_westwood
11-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Hmmm, I've been playing 3 weeks now and have, for the past week or so, been trying to enter tournament to maybe improve my rank. I've played several so far, but each time there's been no more than 5 players! Obviously I'm not goning to get anywhere by playing these tournaments (except for some practice).

Any suggestions as to the best times to find tournaments where there's a decent entry list? If you can answer, please let me know which time zone you're talking about, thanks :)

dont say im not a good guy, i'll give you a game of stroke if there are no tours on and we can do a bit of training and learn some tips, how does that sound!!??

yasdad
11-24-2008, 07:17 AM

dont say im not a good guy, i'll give you a game of stroke if there are no tours on and we can do a bit of training and learn some tips, how does that sound!!??

That's sounds good to me, thanks :)

I'm usually around most evenings (I believe you're in the UK too?). Usually I hang out at 1-10-11 (seems to be the official home of Ridge Racers), but I could pop next door for a few holes whenever you're around :)

Morpheus
11-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I got on for the first time on a Sunday morning (around 11a EST) and there was a good crowd, quite a bit of consecutive tournaments that all had at least 10 players.....

yasdad
11-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I got on for the first time on a Sunday morning (around 11a EST) and there was a good crowd, quite a bit of consecutive tournaments that all had at least 10 players.....

Hmmmm, that makes it around 4pm for me. I would need special permission from my bosses, but I may be able to get online around that sort of time - I guess Saturdays would be good at the same time too?

Marrow_Farmer
11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
I usually find there's enough people most weekdays from about 6pm (GMT) right through until midnight, although G0 comps can be few and far between at times. Weekends are a bit hit and miss but Sunday evenings seem to be quite popular.

yasdad
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I usually find there's enough people most weekdays from about 6pm (GMT) right through until midnight, although G0 comps can be few and far between at times. Weekends are a bit hit and miss but Sunday evenings seem to be quite popular.

:o Hmmm, I might be online from around 8:30 ish until midnight, but often find tournaments with zero players. But I'm looking for G3 and GF tournaments, so maybe the lower ranks aren't so interested? :( Maybe weekends are going to be the only times to find them :-\

cartman1337
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
The problem with G3 tournaments, or rather (many) G3 players is that they aren't aware of that there are more than one floor of tournaments available. I'm not saying you fall into that category, but an unfortunate high number of other G3's don't know about it... :( For that reason, if there aren't any G3 tournaments on floor 1 in an hour slot, you'll likely not find any tournaments that fill up in that hour. I've seen a very few occasions when G3's on lower floors have filled up. However, if you see one on floor 1 there should be a very good chance of it filling. Check an hour or two in advance and book early. Use the spare time for some stroke play against higher ranked players. Clint has already offered to help. If you see me online I'll be more than willing to help too. :)

It's actually a pain to get through G3 currently, I suppose, but give it a couple of days and I'm sure you'll get the points you need to advance to G2 (8 points in how ever many tournaments you need). Once you get to G2 it's a whole other ballgame, there you'll find plenty of tournaments that fill up every hour...

yasdad
11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
The problem with G3 tournaments, or rather (many) G3 players is that they aren't aware of that there are more than one floor of tournaments available. I'm not saying you fall into that category, but an unfortunate high number of other G3's don't know about it... :( For that reason, if there aren't any G3 tournaments on floor 1 in an hour slot, you'll likely not find any tournaments that fill up in that hour. I've seen a very few occasions when G3's on lower floors have filled up. However, if you see one on floor 1 there should be a very good chance of it filling. Check an hour or two in advance and book early. Use the spare time for some stroke play against higher ranked players. Clint has already offered to help. If you see me online I'll be more than willing to help too. :)

It's actually a pain to get through G3 currently, I suppose, but give it a couple of days and I'm sure you'll get the points you need to advance to G2 (8 points in how ever many tournaments you need). Once you get to G2 it's a whole other ballgame, there you'll find plenty of tournaments that fill up every hour...

Aha, I think you've just hit upon my problem: I'm always hanging out on floor 10 rm 11, so that would explain why they always seem to be empty :) Now I shall head into floor 1 and see what I can get in there, thanks for that little gem of info - I was one of the ones not aware of it :)

I appreciate your offer to give me a few games, thanks - I'll be sure to look you up whenever I'm online :)

lmattock
11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I always found that most G3 GFs are full from 8 to 11pm gmt during the week and anytime weekends, last night (sunday) there were some 20+ players in a couple of G3s sometimes its just lucky to get in one sometimes there's more than you can enter. Anyway if you fancy a round look me up I be happy to play you.

yasdad
11-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I always found that most G3 GFs are full from 8 to 11pm gmt during the week and anytime weekends, last night (sunday) there were some 20+ players in a couple of G3s sometimes its just lucky to get in one sometimes there's more than you can enter. Anyway if you fancy a round look me up I be happy to play you.

Thanks again - I think cartman has spotted my deliberate mistake :D From now on, I shall be on floor 1 whenever I'm in the mood for a tournament :)

Ooh, another thought: Can I book a tournament while I'm on floor 1, then jump to my preferred lobby (1-10-11) and still get taken to that tournament when it starts?

And lastly, who's got room on their friends list and can add me? - it makes it so much easier when I'm trying to hunt you down find you :) Thanks everyone :)

cartman1337
11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, you've hit my point exactly... You can be in any lobby and book tournaments on any floor. Just go into the tournament list and use L2 and R2 to jump between floors and L1 and R1 to jump between hour slots (or is it the other way around, never can remember)... So from a lobby on floor 10 you can just L2 9 times to get to the tournaments on floor 1, and you can book from there. On the way you'll enter every other floor too, and might just be lucky enough to find a filled G3 tournament there too... However, you can only jump a tournament from the same floor that the tournament is on. Jumping opportunities start 2 minutes before the tournament begins for those who didn't book on beforehand.

Btw. feel free to add me to your friends list if you want. PSN ID is Cartman1337.

the_smug_one
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Are you still required to be on the same floor as the tournament in order to jump it two minutes out? I know this used to be the case, but someone told me it was changed recently so that you could (logically) jump from any floor now.

And yes, the floor system is a bit confusing at first. Sadly, I was already a level 16 G1 before I learned there was more than 1 floor to play on.

yasdad
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Got it, thanks :) So I can book and view from anywhere, but I can only jump from the floor I'm on - or maybe not (perhaps I'll try it now that the_smug_one has thrown a curve ball) :) I spotted the L1 + R1 (I think) to change the times, but missed the L2 + R2 for the floors (I didn't even know each floor had it's own tournaments :O)

OK, I'll add you the next time I'm on, thanks :)

cartman1337
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Haven't heard anyone say anything about a change on our server, but in Japan they can jump from anywhere, and it should definitely be possible here too if it isn't. I must admit I haven't really tried to jump from a different floor lately. I mostly book beforehand, and if I don't I tend to go to the correct floor by default, always assuming it hasn't been fixed yet. But if someone can verify that it's possible to jump from anywhere now, that would be nice to know. :)

kumanzc
11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I heard someone say they could jump from any floor now and that they did it twice. I am sure it was one of the longterm players so they should have known what they were talking about.

yasdad
11-25-2008, 01:35 AM
I heard someone say they could jump from any floor now and that they did it twice. I am sure it was one of the longterm players so they should have known what they were talking about.

Well, I can confirm that you will jump to your booked tournament no matter what floor you are on: I went into my usual 1-10-11 and finally found the tournaments on the other floors. I booked a tournament on floor 1 and sure enough, I was taken there at the appropriate time :)

However, I now have yet another question on tournaments [I can hear groans from everyone]......... I wasn't particularly impressive in the 3 tournaments I took part in, so no stats to buff up my figures. BUT, no tournament entry stats to show either??? That doesn't make sense - I've spotted that some are "unofficial" and these 3 weren't showing as unofficial (and all had more than 10 players), so why are my stats not reporting any tournaments entered - and more imprtantly: If I'd placed in any of those tournaments, would I have scored anything? Thanks again for your help guys :)

cartman1337
11-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Sounds as though you've entered GF tournaments. Those are not graded as they are in fact "Grade Free", hence it's initials. As such, those tournaments can be harder, since players from ALL grades can enter, and the ones you're losing to might just be G1's and G0's... More importantly; they don't show up on your stats, and should you win or pod, it won't show up either.

What you should be looking for are tournaments with the letters 'G3'. If there's at least 10 people in the tournament when i starts you'll see a message that "Tournament prizes available" in the lower left side of your screen. If you see that, the tournament will count, and win or lose it will show up in your stats later.

But you've at least gotten in some proper practice now in a couple of GF's. Try to focus mostly on G3's for now, and G2's, G1's and G0's later, and only play GF's when there's nothing else on...

yasdad
11-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Actually, after I posted that, I got to thinking about whether they were a GF or G3 tournaments and if that was the problem. Two of them definitley were (I remember checking the players and seeing G1s and G2s), so there's a high probability that the other one was also a GF. I didn't realise GF tournaments were ungraded - I thought it was just tough luck on the G3s if they entered a particularly tough one :D

Once again, thanks for your input - I promise I'll pay more attention in class next time :D

yasdad
11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I finally got in a tournament with something to gain :D

And if it wasn't for an eagle by the 2nd place guy on the last hole, I'd have taken the win (missed eagle, 2ft short >:(). But 2nd is good. Plus, I took out an Ace with my first homer to actually drop :) And after everything, I moved up to level 14 too - quite a productive tournament overall.

Thanks again for your help on this guys :)

rowdybusch
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I finally got in a tournament with something to gain :D

And if it wasn't for an eagle by the 2nd place guy on the last hole, I'd have taken the win (missed eagle, 2ft short >:(). But 2nd is good. Plus, I took out an Ace with my first homer to actually drop :) And after everything, I moved up to level 14 too - quite a productive tournament overall.

Thanks again for your help on this guys :)

Excellent work Yasdad!
Congrats on leveling up too!

You'll be up to G2 in no time! all you need is 8pts and since you finshed 2nd all you need is 5 more points