PDA

View Full Version : Plum's Power Rankings 9/09/A Brief Statement From Your Lvl 20 Spokesman

p1um5mu991er
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
First of all, I will begin collecting Level 20 stats from everyone starting on September 7th. Make it easy on me if you could and show up at some point that day. Otherwise, I will continue to scour the lobby throughout the week with the collection period ending somewhere around Friday or so. Looks like I'm going to be crunching a lot of numbers (repeating of course). If you know me at all, you'll see me, oh, I don't know, everyday between the 7th and Friday provided my girlfriend doesn't toss my ps3 out the window.

b back in a sec, gotta g0 to play Hehehe.

O.K.

There's been a bit of talk (ok, one or two ppl) about my rankings and how they could be improved. For now, I'm stickin' with my equation, and I've explained in the past why I think it works relatively well. As long as it's understood that longevity plays a part in 'plum's' rankings, everything works out. A while back I 'normalized' the statistics for a handful of lvl 20s only to find that nothing much changed. Someone like DustSheep might be getting the shaft on the board, but I'm gonna put out a bold, bold prediction and state that he'll be up there in due time provided he doesn't lose an arm or something. I really don't feel like reiterating all the rankings analysis from the past, so search 'power rankings' and take a look at what you find if you're interested. Some of it got owned by the site change, but there's enough there to explain all of this. So that's that.

On to my Level 20 State of the Address. Wow, I'm such a douche.

Upon returning to the lovely world that most of us consider to be a second (or first) home, I see that there are a buttload of new 20s. I thought that it may be beneficial to put some observations out there I noticed about our 20 community.
#1. Level 20s are lvl 20s because they beat other lvl 20s. There are no weak 20s. Every 20 is capable of ripping off a couple of wins in a row. So if you're a 'entry-level' 20 and are tired of getting beat by the big boys/girl, remind yourself that you are a 20 too. Anyone who achieves level 17 is able to become a 20 if they work at it.
#2. Constant bragging and complaining should be reserved for level 16s below the age of 20. Who am I to tell you what you can or can't write? Well, I'm a nobody, but what I can tell you is all of that drivel is just a waste of keystrokes. Nobody really cares, and believe it or not, it won't help your game. It'll likely earn you a par the following hole. If you're going to brag or complain about something, at least make it funny. That way the rest of us can appreciate it to a certain degree. If you are a level 20, you don't have to prove it every hole. I will mash the triangle button to see that you're a high level golfer regardless of whatever just happ ened to you. We all do this sometimes, I know I do, but relentless moaning just seems kind of useless to me. I take out my aggression on an old controller that I bit to death. Mhm, I bit it, and it deserved it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe bragging and complaining might give a psychological edge over other competitors that become irritated by it. For me, it just makes beating that person more enjoyable. Kratos knows I can be tiresome from all the crap I write in between holes. Okay, enough of that subject.
#3. Being nice to lower level players is probably a good call. We're all real people, and we come to HSG because we enjoy playing and we enjoy the community. Hell, I've maintained better friendships with people here than most people in my personal life. There's a bunch of really cool people playing that might not be as addicted or talented as we are. Pfft, they probably got something going on other than video games. What the heck is that...
#4. Isn't it great that we're playing a game where cheating is impossible? Yeah, yeah, trad/adv, rab/tur, 2nd accts., etc., etc., those debates will continue, but best of luck to you if you're hung up on any of that. Like my man EA said, 'it's in the game'. It's in the game. It really sucks when you try to play something else online and someone has infinite ammo or something like that. I used to hate playing Tony Hawk online with people who enabled all the cheats. None of that here. If you're good, you'll win or pod.
Okay, last point, and I hate to mention it...
#5. I am a hypocrite. K, got that out of the way. I will be brutally honest and state that my life is 'somewhat' dysfunctional due to my addiction for this game. Do yourself a favor and take breaks once in awhile. (Refer up to #2) I was quite nervous returning to HSG af ter being on the sidelines for something like 6/7 weeks. The day af ter I got my ps3 up and running, I started entering g0s. 27 wins in the last 13 days and three personal bests. Not to mention the quite poopy weekend I just had. Of course, I probably played well over 100 tournaments to do it, but nonetheless. Taking some time off will likely improve your game as well as the relationship with your spouse/partner/significant other/pet. I hear there's other good games out there, but I wouldn't know anything about that. And I guess you should go outside once in a while. My skin is more pale than Toro these days.
So do something else. I'm 33 and I'm sitting around playing games all day. I'll use that bachelor's degree every now and then tho. Don't let the game prevent you from doing something a bit more productive. I know this is a sketchy subject, because deep down inside, if you're a level 20, chances are you play the game quite often and probably too much. Until playing a video golf game becomes lucrative, I suppose we should all tend to other responsibilities so we can pay for our internet connection. Like I said, I'm a hypocrite, but at least I can admit that I should mix in a shower every now and then.

And if you read all this, you REALLY need to find something to do. Like play a g0. Hehehe. Power rankings soon.

Plum

johnboru
09-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the "brief" statement. Let me know when you plan the "detailed" one so I can book a week off work to go through it. :-)

gimli2112
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
It's this level of obsession that keeps Plum et all a step ahead of the field.
Funny being nervous on the return only 27 GO wins out of 100 tournaments......lol poor show. (someone needs to invent a font for sarcasm)
This is a seriously addictive game I got Killzone 2 & MGS4 since I started playing HSG and have played them for about 4 hours including the 1/2 hour it took to load up MGS.
Online makes it though.
Lvl 20s rock.

Gim
Over 20
Lvl16

Elektropop
09-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I read through it.. I'm in a similar situation as you were, smuggles: no ps3 :(

Hence, nothing to do.. Nah, I'm going to work soon. I'd give my hours away to play some oob though.. *sigh*

Clear symptoms of losing one's mind..

p1um5mu991er
09-03-2009, 04:43 AM
lol john, lemme condense it for you:

#1 check out my cool numbers soon
#2 wah, wah. play golf.

that should cover it

The-Dreamcaster
09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
i'm not addicted. i play far too many other games for that to be true, i just enjoy a round off golf from time to time.. ^_^. awesome post and i'll be sure to be around. was a background reason for reaching level 20.
i talk too much, i know :/ but i do to dislike complaining people, it didn't go in coz it didn't, sure you can be a little miffed off, but why do people physically type there frustration. That takes a special effort to tell the world about how robbed you was. and if didn't go in, perhaps you didn't do something right? oh and another thing, people who count how many lips they have had in the course of a round.. they should aim for the middle of the hole.. not the edge.. it happens, no-ones perfect, not quite anyway.

bcus28
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
:) good read plum!

KRONZZZ
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
lol very good truthful post plummer .. Im also quite addicted but hey i no what pays my bills at the end of the day and unfortunately golf isnt it !!

p1um5mu991er
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM
this is true. but maybe, maybe, maybe one day it will.

anyone remember that tournament we had? i forget who won, but i know they didn't get paid off.

dirtdog91
09-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Those kids who play Madden on ESPN get paid well.

p1um5mu991er
09-04-2009, 04:49 AM
that's a good point--some of those doods remind me of some doods here...