PDA

View Full Version : Flyers?

Morpheus
12-04-2008, 02:49 PM
How do you judge your shot when you get the "watch out for fliers" warning? Is there any scientific way to approach it? or is it completely random? I've hit a perfect impact and my ball still flew 20 yards past the mark...and other times on perfect impact, it will stay within the given shot percentage.

Any thoughts or insight to this?

rowdybusch
12-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I think it's all luck of the draw so to speak.

Personally I try to get rid of it by clubbing up if possible.

When or if that doesn't work I'll look at the hole I'm shooting at and
if it is safe I'll just hit my regular shot. If it goes past the hole I just hope
it lands playable. If past the green looks to dangerous then I'll chip or putt
out to the fairway regroup and take the extra stroke.

cartman1337
12-04-2008, 02:56 PM
As you've probably heard before there's Perfect Impact, and there's Super Perfect Impact. You'll need the latter to be SURE to avoid a flyer, I think... Just like lie %'s getting a flier is completely random. With a lie % of, say, 96-100 you can hit Perfect Impact and still end up with 98% instead of 100%... Same with fliers; a "mere" Perfect Impact isn't enough to make sure to avoid them... Only way to make sure to avoid them is either hitting SPI, or club'ing up or down until you don't get the flier warning...

The-Dreamcaster
12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
it is random down to luck whether you hit a flyer or not.
Cartman what you on about, super perfect impact. explain, how and what?

Roughdawg4
12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
really? I thought you just needed perfect impact and it never happens.

I might be wrong about that though.

Roughdawg4
12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I have great impact usually 50-60% and I have only gotten a flier a handful of times. So either I am the luckiest person in the world, or getting perfect impact matters.

Maybe the all-knowing sage Mace will chime in about this :)

Morpheus
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
i'm pretty sure i had perfect impact when it happend to me earlier today and still flew completely past green. lol

cartman1337
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Perfect Impact is, from what I've heard, when your character "whistles" a note when he or she makes the shot. See that happen and you're guaranteed the best lie %'s... Of course, I might be wrong, but I remember a discussion about this someplace before...

And of course, the chance of getting a flier decreases significantly when getting regular PI too, so PI is always a good aim. But I, like Morpheus, have gotten a flier with PI at least once...

BeEmerson
12-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I've never had a flyer with super back spin and count on that fact when hitting out of the rough. It usually gives you the maximum % displayed as well. I'm not sure but it may depend on what level your character is. At level 12 you get the "increased accuracy with perfect impact" thing which may effect flyers. Anyone know?

Light_kraze
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok i might get off the track abit here , but .. Super perfect impact ?

oh and btw , does any of u guys look at the Line next to the ball On the Bottom Right Corner ? and u know what it is o.o ?

Morph, if u remember the hole that u got P.I and still got a flier at it. plz tell me it so i can go into practice mode and try it out =D !

MasonR
12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Perfect Impact (super or "regular") will prevent a flyer from happening. At one time I thought it could still happen with regular PI, but that isn't the case. I'm pretty sure that Level 12 impact increase (or whatev) doesn't alter whether or not flyers can be produced with PI.

Super perfect impact happens when you get the double music note, it gives you the max "on ball" % possible. You can still get the max lie percentage with regular PI, but it's guaranteed with SPI.

Roughdawg4
12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
he speaks so it must be true :)

MasonR
12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh, and I'm dating Hiedi Klum :P

the_smug_one
12-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I believe PI guarantees you'll get at least the upper half of your impact range. Someone mentioned this to me a while ago, and it seems to hold true. Can anyone *looks at Mace* confirm this?

Roughdawg4
12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
whatever you say Seal :)

kumanzc
12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I have changed clubs before, didn't get the warning and still hit a flyer.

that being said, I play quickly and maybe just shot before my caddy could warn me.

the_smug_one
12-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Actually I think there is a bit of a misconception associated with changing clubs to avoid flyers. I've heard this logic repeated several times, but in my experience an initial flyer warning (one that shows before you've changed clubs) will "go away" as soon as you change the club (regardless of whether you're clubbing up or down), even when the flyer risk still remains. Logic would dictate that a lower loft club should reduce flyer risk (while a higher loft one would increase it), but simply because the warning sign no longer shows doesn't mean the risk is gone.

Having said that, I do believe that when you receive a flyer warning AFTER changing clubs, it can be avoided by simply sticking with those lower loft clubs you cycled through before receiving a flyer warning.

Roughdawg4
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't think that is true. If you notice when you have a flyer, your lie percentages will turn yellow.

They stay yellow when changing clubs, except when you get far enough and then you will notice it turns white. When you change the clubs back down it will turn yellow again.

BeEmerson
12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
When you have a flyer club in hand the % numbers will be displayed in yellow. The warning will go away but the numbers stay yellow when changing clubs untill you get to a non-flyer club at which time the numbers will turn white.

BeEmerson
12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
beat me to it Dawg. Good work :)

the_smug_one
12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Appreciate the clarification guys. Never noticed the color change before . Learn something new every day I guess...

kumanzc
12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
yes, that is great info, didn't know about the colour change either, thanx

MasonR
12-04-2008, 08:32 PM
As for the PI and ball % question, if you hit PI (and character loyalty is 12+) you're guaranteed to get at least 50% of the lie variance. So if it's 90-100, PI guarantees 95% or more. If you're 25-85%, you're guaranteed at least 55%.

koudman
12-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Can't really correct for a flyer but just wanted to share this :)

I played on the minna server last week and on the one of the par 5's i managed to hit the rough...the bad stuff. Problem was that my max club that I could hit from the rough would not get me to the hole.... Missed PI on purpose and prayed for a flyer, happened and it ended up only 15m away from the pin but on the green :) Made that putt for some extra points :)

Moral of the story - first flyer that didn't kill me :)

gypsyball
03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I had one not too long ago, thankfully a tree saved me from over shooting the green, but I can't remember the final score was on that hole.