PDA

View Full Version : High standards...

johnboru
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Been playing Minna more recently as it suits my timezone and there are more players online.

However, I need to be at the top of my game just to squeeze into the podium places.

Here's a tournament I was just in.

Highland 18H LT - No wind marker. (I was down in the lowly -22s :()

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ic4ef4.jpg

gypsyball
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
WOW, G0 in Minna is really hellhttp://www.thegamesvillage.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/1smilie_shock5.gif (javascript:void(opener.addSmiley('body1','http://www.thegamesvillage.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/1smilie_shock5.gif'));self.focus();)http://www.thegamesvillage.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/1smilie_shock8.gif (javascript:void(opener.addSmiley('body1','http://www.thegamesvillage.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/1smilie_shock8.gif'));self.focus();)

Elektropop
07-10-2010, 11:38 AM
You can squeeze that, honey.

gypsyball
07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I guess G0 in OT2 is easier than G0 in OB and Minna.

reeja19
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Wow -28 is pretty insane... even for highland :eek:

VirginiaTerp
07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
-28??? Can't be! :eek:

VOLS34
07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
U can blame a lot of this on advance. Sorry but it's the truth.

johnboru
07-15-2010, 12:03 AM

Global warming, the gulf oil spill, the war in Iraq, the death of Michael Jackson and Lady GaGa's fashion sense can be added to that list.

dimskill
07-15-2010, 01:43 AM

Amazing:eek:

Marrow_Farmer
07-15-2010, 02:36 AM

Actually it's down to statistics and probability. Let's say Minna has 5 times more players than HSG, that means the probability is you will have the equivelent of 5 x Mason, 5 x Em and 5 x Dusty playing most nights (not forgetting that the real Mason and Em are also there). Now you imagine that line up pushing each other to the crazy limits of HSG then you can start to understand why they get better scores.

(that said -28 is just plain wrong!)

Ozvaldo
07-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Wow!

reeja19
07-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Well if that's the case, then explain the -26 Okinawa Alex Trad that was put up on the minna server awhile back :p

Marrow_Farmer
07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Well if that's the case, then explain the -26 Okinawa Alex Trad that was put up on the minna server awhile back :p

Magic? :eek:

KRONZZZ
07-15-2010, 10:09 AM
trad has advantages over advance especially your short approaches. Yes advance has the extra power but thats just the way clap hanz made it so why not take advantage of it? Can you blame the company for trying to be fresh and add something new to the game ? If you cant beat em join em ? or master trad like bgunner who can compete with any top player and keeps his advance bashing to a minimum :)

VOLS34
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I wasn't bashing adv just stating the facts. When u can get 40 extra yards by executing a huge miss hit & get by without hitting a single pi there's gonna be some crazy scores. Compound that with the japs, being good, & having countless games under your belt. Btw trad has absolutely no advantage.

reeja19
07-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I wasn't bashing adv just stating the facts. When u can get 40 extra yards by executing a huge miss hit & get by without hitting a single pi there's gonna be some crazy scores. Compound that with the japs, being good, & having countless games under your belt. Btw trad has absolutely no advantage.

The easter event basically showed everyone the distinct advantages trad holds over advanced. Putting with trad is a joke, much easier than advanced... Also hitting in between shots, i.e 85% is much easier with trad... getting pi is also much easier with trad. so your statement is utter BS dude!

BGunner
07-15-2010, 12:39 PM
To each his/her own, only real advantage I see for trad players would be in a limited club tournament scenario, which, ironcially, does not exist (further evidence of a conspiracy!). The advantage is obviously that you see the flag icon on the linear trad meter so you know how far, approximately, you have to hit the ball. Kronzz eluded to that by mentioning short approaches.

A trad -26 @ Oki is sick, especially with Alex, I could see it being feasible for me with an expert character, as I have started -8 through 4 holes @ Oki, but with an intermediate which takes reaching the green on the drive on 1,3, and 10 out of picture, is ridonkulous.

I was actually thinking of getting Minna just becasue our server is so weak as of late, but getting all the DLC seems to be a huge pain, I thought for sure, at least in Japan, there would be a re-release of Minna as a greatest-hits title with the DLC already included. Oh well.

reeja19
07-15-2010, 01:03 PM
The minna server is still humming along quite nicely, i've been playing there a lot again lately... The DLC does suck unless you can find some1 who will share, which i'm sure you could :)

BGunner
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
The DLC does suck unless you can find some1 who will share, which i'm sure you could :)

What do you mean share?

reeja19
07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
You've never heard of sharing DLC... well you get the email address and password from someone who purchased it, login to the PS Store using their account, and download the DLC for free. For each PSN account, you are allowed to share with up to 5 other people.

BGunner
07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
hmmm, I have to kiss some butt and get some free DLC....

MasonR
07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Any PSN account can be active on 5 PS3s. Several OOB players share jp accounts for the dlc. Not terribly inconvenient as in most cases the Minna dlc is the only purchased material on the account. Getting Jp PSN cards is a ripoff compared to what we pay for our HSG dlc.

late :p

VOLS34
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
The easter event basically showed everyone the distinct advantages trad holds over advanced. Putting with trad is a joke, much easier than advanced... Also hitting in between shots, i.e 85% is much easier with trad... getting pi is also much easier with trad. so your statement is utter BS dude!

Ur f'n crazy dude. Putting is putting & being good comes with practice regardless of the shot style u use. Who the hell hits 85% shots unless it's a tweener shot with a SW but how often does that happen. Any good trad player will tell u that flag on the meter don't mean a thing because it don't take wind or elevation into account & rarely is even used whether on approach shots or in between SW shots & NEVER any other time. To say pi is easier with trad shows how rediculous ur statements are.

Optimus_Prime
07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I know you've played some adv, but perhaps you should try it some more. I hardly go a round where I don't have to hit a wedge that's around 75-85%. It's certainly not preferable, but sometimes you get a bad roll (or just drove off the tee without thinking about how much yardage would be left--something much easier to do in trad) and you're stuck with such a shot. So your statement that it's "rarely" used seems off the mark.

In fact, the developers/publishers of the game said gauging power is an advantage of trad shots (in the game manual--look it up). Are they lying? If they were trying to conspire in getting people to use adv, I don't think they would even bother saying trad has any advantages.

And to say any good trad player would say the flag doesn't mean a thing is exaggerating to an extreme degree. Sorry, I consider myself a good trad player on PSP, and I use the flag plenty, particularly when aiming short of it. Now if a bunch of other trad players come in here and say the flag doesn't mean squadoosh and they might as well not even have it on the meter, I will concede that point to you.

I do agree with you about trad putting. I don't think it's so much easier as Reeja implies. There are some aspects that are easier, but some aspects of adv putting are easier as well.

However, I believe he is on the mark about PI. (And we're talking about perfect impact, not how forgiving impact is, or the likelihood of accidentally turtling/rabbiting.) I don't think there is proof, but think about it. Impact in adv has a much larger range than with trad. Unless the game is doing something behind the scenes otherwise (certainly possible), you should be able to hit the button within the sizable PI block in trad a touch more easily than the little PI dot in adv.

Now, that said, impact is extremely more forgiving in adv than in trad. One block off of PI in trad, your shot is going to be much farther off than if you were several pixels outside of PI in adv. But again, Reeja said PI is easier with trad, not general impact and control.

Defending the "integrity" of trad shots is one thing, but needlessly attacking adv shots (and sometimes the people who use them) is unbecoming and old. It's tiresome when you come into threads that have nothing to do with trad vs adv and try to slam adv or claim trad has no advantages. That could be considered trolling.

VOLS34
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Why don't u read the entire thread & my 1st post before u chime in. I didn't bash adv. The dude shot a -28 which is astounding no matter what but I wonder how many bs rabbits & turtles he hit to set up easy or easier eagles. I still can't believe anybody would say pi is easier with trad that's just silly. Maybe it's because with adv u have such a large area to miss without it affecting the shot u focus less. The partial sw shot is a weak argument too. On average it probably happens less than 1 time a round & it's not like adv players haven't practiced that shot from different yardages or avoid it altogether. As for the flag on the meter, u may find some trads that use it a lot or even exclusively & they have the white & blue names over their head.

jleviathan
07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
this debate is 2 years old give it a rest and has been rehashed so many times.
if you are so unhappy with the style you use whos fault is it?

p1um5mu991er
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/rodparsley/surprise.gif?t=1279248198

Marrow_Farmer
07-16-2010, 02:20 AM
It truly is a f*****g joke beyond all proportions that adv players have the rabbit/turtle ability in their locker! It's just not fair. Oh hang on wait:

YouTube- Fortress Yard Albatross

Oh and btw long distance Trad putting is a piece of p*** compared with adv. 2 aspects to each putt, line and length, trad takes the length out of the equation straight away 50% job done!

Ozvaldo
07-16-2010, 03:45 AM
this debate is 2 years old give it a rest and has been rehashed so many times.
if you are so unhappy with the style you use whos fault is it?

Exactly..

Optimus_Prime
07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Why don't u read the entire thread & my 1st post before u chime in. I didn't bash adv. The dude shot a -28 which is astounding no matter what but I wonder how many bs rabbits & turtles he hit to set up easy or easier eagles.

Why don't you read the topic again before posting flippant remarks? The point of this thread is not the huge numbers, but how much better the play is in Japan and the high standards needed to keep up. If you hadn't noticed, there are some big scores on our server, but not as big as Japan. So, does that mean they're using adv and we're using trad?

Your initial post did not explain your reasoning for just saying, "U can blame a lot of this on advance." Blame what on adv? That Japan has much tougher competition? Your post looked like flamebait, intended to start the same tired conversation about how bad adv is for the game.

What I'm asking you to do is to keep your comments on adv vs trad posts on topic (or at least explain your reasoning instead of putting out flamebait) whenever you feel the need to issue the same old arguments.

Why As for the flag on the meter, u may find some trads that use it a lot or even exclusively & they have the white & blue names over their head.

Way to go. Slamming your fellow trads now, too.

VOLS34
07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
What did I say off topic? Without adv a score like that would be almost impossible. No penalty for missing impact & the rabbit/turtle bs. Still a great score. I don't think any trad took offense to what I said but if they did maybe they will realize that flag is pretty much useless & tweak their game to become better.

stillsing
07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
No offense taken here. And yes the flag is useless.

BGunner
07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Nah, the flag isn't useless, for example, I use it when chipping with a low iron, like a 3 iron on a 100 yard shot, don't use it too much, but that would be one example...

VOLS34
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Nah, the flag isn't useless, for example, I use it when chipping with a low iron, like a 3 iron on a 100 yard shot, don't use it too much, but that would be one example...

Lol. Yea how stupid of me. I occasionally use it when I'm hit my 1w from 120yds uphill into the wind over water. Sometimes I use a 3w too if I need the spin & higher trajectory.

p1um5mu991er
07-19-2010, 02:45 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc165/__Mace__/Minna%20No%20Golf%205%20rules/GetAttachment2-3.jpg

stillsing
07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Regardless of the club/shot type there is always a math equation for distance .its rare that it works out the same as the flag marker so i have long since stopped using it at all. Just messes me up the other 95% of the time when i would have to add or subtract. But thats just me.So technically there is a occasional time when u could use it.

BGunner
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Lol. Yea how stupid of me. I occasionally use it when I'm hit my 1w from 120yds uphill into the wind over water. Sometimes I use a 3w too if I need the spin & higher trajectory.

Wow, you're salty.

Frozen_Walkers
07-19-2010, 11:05 PM
there are many talented trad players on Minna who can shot -24 or better on Long T.

MasonR
07-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Protip: -27 Highland LT with Trad has been done with trad, and using Trad shots is no reason why one of those couldn't have been a -28. And there's no one to say it >hasn't< been done before anyway. Leaderboards on Minna are reset regularly so it's easy to miss some of the more fantastic scores.

VOLS, go buy Minna and take a look at the Trad scores on the leaderboards or watch some of the players such as Kurohige play with Trad shots and see what they can do.

johnboru
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Congrats to BeEmerson are in order.

Since clocking the Big 1K on our server he moved over to Minna to test his mettle against the best in the business.

When I first saw him a month or so ago he had about 5 wins from 230 games... Now he has just reached Mr. (30 wins = level 20) in 350 or so...

Lorefio has just started reeling off wins with his new G0 (3 in 15 tours) so its good to see guys I have 'grown up' watching showing they can duke it out with Satan and YonYon etc.

Obviously, Kudos to MasonR, Canillo and the other pioneers from HSG for blazing a trail.

MasonR
07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Yep Em joins albi, Canillo, and myself as HSG players with the Mr. title. (Saki as well).

And let's not forget TheJessman, who inspired the first wave of HSG players who bought Minna. Last sign-in, 21 months ago. :(

reeja19
07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
You're all too good.

BGunner
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Great work by all of you, way to rep the international server and show them that "we got game" too.

I'm looking at my chances in Minna realistically, and will settle for the title of "Mrs." hehehe. I'm just hoping to make it G0 as my first goal, and that may be a reach...

reeja19
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Gun you will make it to g0 with no problem, the real goal should be to avoid demoting from g0. I have managed to avoid demotion only 4 times out of 13 or 14 so far :D

Frozen_Walkers
07-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah It's feel so good to be able to avoid demote on Minna. I did it once on my new ps3 [ 60 games in ] but hey out in the wild minna even Mr got demote :(

Megaman80
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
sick score for long tee indeed, i looked at the leaderboards today and saw -28 Euro as well...

Frozen_Walkers
07-20-2010, 10:09 PM
one of the thing you'll noticed is that they HATE sakboy. However they can shot -10 crown ruff + novice with sophie or Bjohn with no problem. I blame BP. :D

NYJets
07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
-28 seems like cheating...seriously.

Anyway to confirm if there's a hack out there ? Seems like people can hack their PS3's to do anything these days... look at all the MW2 hacks.

MasonR
07-26-2010, 03:55 PM
There's definitely not a hack out there for the PS3 game. -28 does seem insane (and it is), but it's surely possible. I've been gunning specifically for -28 (RT though) since I started playing again, and scoots said he played a few offline as well for kicks after talking with me about it. There's a couple -27 LTs out there (Lorefio, myself and no doubt a few minna players), all it takes is one more to drop.

Best case scenario, calling eags on 1, 6, 14 and the par 5s, you only need two more to drop for the -28. Heck my -26 from the summer event, I missed eags on 1 and 14. ><

OT2, the PSP game, can and has been hacked by many people though. Hopefully it doesn't stop too many people from enjoying it though, still a wonderful game.

johnboru
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Damn Minna G0s at it again.

Prob not as impressive as the -28 on Highland but this was a very good score.
Euro 18H RT (Hit tree +2) - Leader was -15 after 9 holes so 'fell away' on the back nine.

By the way, -28 is the leading score on the server for this course and set up.

http://i36.tinypic.com/qx19qp.jpg

reeja19
08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
-15 for 9.... dam advanced cheaters ;)