PDA

View Full Version : Trad Competition

ElectroFox
08-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Welcome to HSG OB (or Everybody's Golf WT) Trad Competition. By Trad, I mean those who only play Traditional. I'm setting up this competition for the following purpose:

- To make official Top Ranks for Trads.
- To prevent conflicts of who are better than who.
- To have fun!!

The rules/regulations are set.:

Timings: Round start at GMT 22:00, London 23:00, NewYork 18:00, California 15:00
Meeting Point: Floor 10 Lobby 4

Round 1 14-Sep Sunday
Highland 18h LongT, Limited Clubs Novice only Time:Normal
Safari 18h LongT Time:Normal
Elimination: top 14 players qualify to next round
Round 2 21-Sep Sunday
Okinawa 18h LongT, Standard Clubs (Ball open) Novice only Time:Normal
Silver 18h LongT Time:Slow
Elimination: top 8 players qualify to next round
Round 3 28-Sep Sunday
Euro 18h LongT, Intermediate only no Power mode Time:Normal
CrownLinks 18h ShortT Time:Slow

Game Format: New Real game room
No-Shows: If you know you can

Roughdawg4
08-21-2008, 07:19 AM
I don't know how many people you are going to find for this because most of the players are advanced players.

Just so you know, the 2 competitions that Rowdy and Elf run can be played by traditional players (there are a few). Feel free and join up with the fun.

ElectroFox
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Roughdawg.

Don't know if I have to ask permission to make this kind of competition. I guess its alright to do so, right? :-X

Exactly, there are few trad players so thats why it is easier to gather them and it'll be less hectic. Also it is fair to play only trads without advantages of advanced drive distance. I got 19 trad players (G0 & G1) in my list, I gotta announce this to them. Other trads can feel free to join too.

Thank you for sharing the opinion. If theres any other advice please let me know.

Roughdawg4
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
We have 2 moderators running out of bounds right now so if you had an idea or you wanted to do something it would be nice to give them a heads up.

As for actually running the tournamnet, wouldn't you rather just join our league and have more people. We are always looking for new people to join.

Roughdawg4
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
and I think anyone should be fine joining the league even though we are mostly advanced players.

ShaqsSuns is a traditional player and he is very good. Me and him have played against each other for about a year now and it is always a close game.

rowdybusch
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I believe the drive distance advantage is minimal, and it basically gets even out by the approach
advantage given to the traditional shot bar.

It is fine if you want to create a competition that excludes the advanced shot, it is just nice to
put some feelers out first. We all have to start somewhere and we all had to make a first post
to get the ball rolling.

We all know that you have good intentions to wanting a little friendly competition.

After all we are also here to have fun too, share out game knowledge make new friends
hopefully have a positive impact on helping others etc.

This forum is obviously not that old and I think that we all want this to become the place to be
for current, past and future versions of this great series.

If you have anything you would like to discuss feel free to send me a PM anytime.
I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

I hope if you are going to start up something you follow through and take it all the way.

I unfortunately will not be participating in the Traditional only events though.

Welcome to the site
Rowdy

ElectroFox
08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Rowdy, and Rough

Thank you for the cooperation. I've been thinking about making this kind of competition since long ago. Hopefully there won't be any confusion when it comes to the competition. I've got the plan all set, but only waiting for competitors to signup.

I'll see if i got time to join some of the competitions here, (schedue kinda tight :-\). If i ran into problems, I'll PM you guys. Thanks again.

Vello
08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
i will join when its ready . just let me know some way i will check here often.. thanks

bruceollie
08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
count me in

Hantavirosis
08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
This is Hant, count me in! Just le me know when!

boukster5
08-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Im in fox. I knew i'd find you sooner than later!

boukster5
08-22-2008, 05:17 PM
let me know when and how brother!! Sounds good!

Shaq33Cavs33
08-22-2008, 05:23 PM
ShaqsSuns is a traditional player and he is very good. Me and him have played against each other for about a year now and it is always a close game.

TY RD for them kind words and on that note, count me in. :)

JYP7
08-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey Fox, count me in. ;D

jesonandmel
08-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Count me in please

Jesonandmel

bubbaski27
08-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Me and arch are in1!

MasonR
08-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Got your message the other day Fox, thanks for the invite, but I'll be busy on the Jp server. Good luck to all who participate.

GrayBeard45
08-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Ok i'll try this i'm in please

BoSizzle
08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Count me in................Sizzle time baby

graham24
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I'll play. Just let me know.

Graham

topo9
08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi, i

royaltool
08-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Sign my azzz up!!!!!!!! ::) :P ;D :o

royaltool
08-29-2008, 02:43 PM
sign me up !!!!!! Plese tell me when and where!

slowguy20
08-30-2008, 12:04 PM
count me in

parrott3000
08-30-2008, 04:51 PM
count me in

Roughdawg4
08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
That is priceless.

A person named parrot copied the last person's post.

Roughdawg4
08-30-2008, 09:10 PM
No reponses huh. Tough Crowd :)

ElectroFox
08-31-2008, 02:39 AM
That is priceless.

A person named parrot copied the last person's post.

Nice one Roughdawg, but I don't think parrott copied the previous person's post. I think they actually copied from my main post as I told them to say "count me in". ;D Good job guys!

BGunner
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm in. And that whole "notify the moderators" bit was far funnier than your parrot joke, Rdawg.

Roughdawg4
09-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Electro, did you set any times up for this yet? It has been a while since you posted it so if you could provide an update that would be great.

Thank You.

Adru
09-03-2008, 11:51 AM
count me in im est slet me know 4 that time zone

ElectroFox
09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Most are not checking my post regularly :'( Please check my first post for the date/time. Hopefully everyone will be there (most likely not)

BGunner
09-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Hmmm - slow timer? WTF? Knitting an afghan between holes? What's the logic? And why limited clubs in the first round? Aren't we looking to have fun, not simply be annoyed?

Roughdawg4
09-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Hmmm - slow timer? WTF? Knitting an afghan between holes? What's the logic? And why limited clubs in the first round? Aren't we looking to have fun, not simply be annoyed?

Lol Gunner.

But hey you know slow and really slow timers are good for cleaning your house. I did 2 really slow tourneys and I cleaned almost my whole house. The fiance came home and was extremely happy I cleaned rather than playing video games :)

BGunner
09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I know RD, I take the time to catch up on my laundry, seriously. I can change loads, fold, and put a new load in on a par 5 without an issue. I mean, let's just go with the REALLY SLOW timer and play Madden in between holes.

Normal timer seems reasonable - PLENTY of time, and no one has to rush.

As for limited clubs, still don't get that one - I mean, if you're going to throw rules in, don't do it in the first round as some sort of "weed-out" attempt. HSG is the golf game of the people, let the people play!

Put the difficult rules in the later rounds when you have higher-skilled golfers.

ElectroFox
09-11-2008, 06:43 AM
BGunner brought up good points. Let me explain the logic behind it.

Slow time: this is a competition to make rankings of Trad players. I want people to take as much time they want in every hole without looking at the time. Won't hear any excuses like "aw man, was in rush on putting that one". So if those who play fast, this'll be a chance for you to sink eagles (or go do laundry). Don't you like that?

Limited club: talking about Highland, was playing with level below 10 people the other day with them getting near pins and stuff. Then we played limited club rule, with most of us getting bad scores. Now is it because of unlucky or because of skill? I believe all of us who joined this competition knows how to play highland and should be ok with limited clubs, so why the complain. This is adding some enjoyment to the round.

Also we playing 2 courses in a row. Notice the second course theres no rules, so thats the chance to fix the mistake from the rules of first courses'.

BGunner
09-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Alright, that's fine, just know that the competition is tainted becasue you don't have the best trad playing. hehehe

Your rules are contrived and have no logic.

Roughdawg4
09-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey the best trad player should be able to adapt to any challenge and that includes limited clubs.

Electro is running the tourney and put it together so he can run it anyway he wants.

BGunner
09-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, RD, but it's not a sanctioned event because he did not notify the moderators. ;D HAHAHA

I can voice my opinion and raz him all I want without harassment from the message board police. Limited Clubs are no big deal, but the slow time is just plain dumb - feel free to set up 18 holes Long on highland on slow for a test - EVERYONE will be done with the hole with more than a minute to spare. Played a GF last night on normal timer and everyone was done (varying skill levels) with approx 60-50 seconds left on each hole.

Roughdawg4
09-11-2008, 07:45 AM
I don't really see why you feel like you need to state your opinion when you don't even show up anyway.

rowdybusch
09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Forgive me if I am wrong but if the games are being played in a game room,
even if the time is set to slow, does it not end faster if everyone is finished the hole?

The only way you would have to wait the full time is if someone stretched it to the end
pushing a time out.

Just thinking to myself... since I am not participating.

ElectroFox
09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Actually I don't get the logic in your opinion BGunner (and hey, howcome it took u over a week after signing up to come up with an opinion?). I've already mentioned the reasons for Slow time and Limited clubs, not need to explain further.

Limited Club and Slow time shoud balance out the difficulty. If you are in a rush to play the competition, you can post saying that you can't make it on that day and do later in your preferred day/time (like what i posted in the rules).

Ok I can make exception for you and make time Normal or Fast. Will do in seperate game room later other days. If you don't like limited clubs, ok i can change the rule in the post. Please state it clearly in the post if you want the aboves. But if you still don't want to join the competition, please also state it clearly so that I don't have to chase every participants in lobbies.

BGunner
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Fox - I was on vacation so that's why you didn't from me earlier - as far as the rules, they are what they are, I just enjoy complaining - it's really just because I' m back to work after a 2 week holiday and the misery just seems to ooze from my bitter fingertips.

Your recommendation about the timer seems fine, I'm sure that I can find 7 others when we meet in L10-F4 @ 6 pm est Sunday that would rather play a normal timer room than a slow timer - as far as scores, do you want people to email you the screenshot jpg of the leaderboard or do we post them in a thread on here?

Roughdawg4
09-11-2008, 10:26 AM
That is a good idea to do game rooms on the other days so you can play alot faster. I understand what he means about normal being enough time.

Because slow timer is really slow
And really slow is go out and enjoy a cig ;)

Roughdawg4
09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
and if you can take a picture gunner post it right here in the topic.

BGunner
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
The newest update enabled the screenshot function so anyone can snap a pic of the final leaderboard. I'll post the pic for my room here or in a scoring thread.

ElectroFox
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Okay Gun, now we're talking. Yeh, like what Roughdawg said, maybe slow is too slow. Also I realize that it'll be better for those who has bad network. Like: the faster the round is, the higher chance they'll finish the round without network error. I'll change the time of the courses (maybe not all of them), a bit later.

So we'll be making 2-3 rooms, you can help me host the other room Gun. And someone else on the 3rd room (if that much show up), we'll see with that no prob. We'll take photo of final score, at least 2-3 participants in each room should also take photo incase.

We need the current Trad champ for the competition ofcourse ;). Incase someone will defeat the champ.

Roughdawg4
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
You are going to need 2 rooms anyway so you can give people a choice so that works for everyone.

And if you guys really feel like letting each other know where you are at, you could go into the chatroom during the game and post the highscore each hole.

ElectroFox
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
You are going to need 2 rooms anyway so you can give people a choice so that works for everyone.

And if you guys really feel like letting each other know where you are at, you could go into the chatroom during the game and post the highscore each hole.

Good point about giving people choices. But i rather not, if we play Normal time then everyone should play the same to be fair.

For the scores, we'll need to take photo of the rounds ofcourse. And we can also chat in lobbies too. Thanks for being around and helping out man.

topo9
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
hi, i

Morpheus
09-12-2008, 04:11 PM
[quote author=topo9 link=topic=128.msg1851#msg1851 date=1221255940]

Well, i think rules are the rules, i don

ElectroFox
09-13-2008, 02:13 AM
For the time zone, it will be 00:00 h in Spain (01:00 h my time).

Announcement: if anyone know the following people please report me.

Dwarf, Moonlion, Tigerwoodz.

topo9
09-15-2008, 03:41 AM
sorry, yesterday was impossible for me play the tournament.
Did you play??
Could i play that these days or it

ElectroFox
09-15-2008, 03:47 AM
I

Roughdawg4
09-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Just to throw some criticism out there so maybe it will work better the next time. I think the biggest problem you had is the lapse in time from when you posted this tourney to when it actually started.

On Aug. 20th you posted that you wanted to do a trad. tourney but it didn't happen to almost a month later. Usually any more than a week or 2 passes, people lose interest. I think if you try it a little quicker next time, you might get some better results. Although, it is hard to schedule a bunch of people in one time.

If you build it, they will come :)

ElectroFox
09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I made the delay on purpose. Because i want to take as much time to search and gather all the pro trads. That means the more participants, the more will show up. Plenty of time for them to check the posts and be prepared.

If i gave quicker timeline, that means i'll get less participants, and even less will showup. Anyway no matter if its quick or delayed, in the end it all comes down to the participant. If he is committed and really want to play, then he won't miss it.

cynicalvision
11-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm in. Would love to play in an all Traditional tournament to see how I compare.

Roughdawg4
11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
this topic is dead, I probably should lock it up before there is any other confusion.