PDA

View Full Version : League for HSG:OOB

FlyingElf
06-24-2008, 06:57 PM
So everyone is calling for a league? Why not just make our own? Its pretty easy to do. Sure it won't be official, but I'll be happy to track the stats myself and post them here on the forums.

So how do you join? Well every Monday and Wednesday at 6 pm EST join the first GF tournament on floor 5 listed starting between 6 and 6:15 pm EST. If there is no GF tournament starting at that time, move to floor 6, then 7 and so on...This is to keep tournaments as randomly generated as possible and floor 5 is to keep as many non league members from joining as possible (and creating more work for me) as it seems very few people scroll past the first couple floors when looking for a tourney.

You will get points for doing well in an event. Points will be determined as follows...

1st: 20 points
2nd: 15 points
3rd: 10 points
4th: 8 points
5th: 6 points
6th: 4 points
7th: 3 points
8th 2 points
And everyone who finishes the tournament 9th or lower gets 1 point. And yes you must finish the tournament to get this 1 point. Your average point total per tournament will be taken to determine your ranking, however you must compete in at least 75% (or 15 of the 20) of the events or your average will be penalized 1 point for every event over 5 that you miss.

At the end of 10 weeks the top 8 will be invited to the league playoffs. The league playoffs will be a series of 4 18 hole events played over the 2 league days (monday and wednesday, 2 18 hole tournaments each day). If one of the top 8 is unable to make it, the 9th place player will be taken instead and so on down the line, so you may want to show up even if you don't place top 8. There will be no HSG rules in place and you will be free to use any character/club/ball you want. The 4 courses used for the finals will be

Round 1: Highland (regular tees)
Round 2: Euro Classic (long tees)
Round 3: Silver Peaks (regular tees)
Round 4: Crown Links (long tees)

Lowest total score over all 4 courses will be taken to determine the winner. If at any time you are disconnected during a game, I'm sorry, but I must disqualify you...Theres no way to recreate the exact circumstances and let somebody back in or assume someone would make par on the final couple holes. Though in order to compensate for this I'm going to use long hole timers so as hopefully someone who hits a bad lag spike will still be able to finish.

League will start this Monday, July 7th at 6pm. I look forward to seeing you all then.

Teresa
06-24-2008, 08:49 PM
its a nice idea i will be in front line :D and it will be great if admin make small icon under name like the profile icon to see the point of each player
and like giving a madel for winning 3,5,7 win streak without no losing
don't laugh if it sound stupid ;)

BGunner
06-25-2008, 06:46 AM
So, a league with 8 players per round? Sounds weak.

FlyingElf
06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
So, a league with 8 players per round? Sounds weak.

Hence why if it takes off we'd be running multiple simultaneous games...Really though, this is all we can do using current tech.

BGunner
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
No, that is not correct - the most viable option for a league would be the use of GF tournaments enabling 50 participants to play at the same time.

If a standard time each week is chosen, everyone meets on, say, floor 3, lobby 1 - then you simply use the next available GF - though not perfect, it seems much more sociable and fun than 8 players rooms and it's completely random so there's no practicing with specific set/rules prior to the actual tournament.

Teresa
06-25-2008, 10:10 AM
i agrea with Bgunner, think it will be better that way u pick GF tournament and post the time and the floor ^^[color=purple]

rowdybusch
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I am interested in league play. However I have not yet unlocked all of the courses.
Also I have not yet purchased Oceania... or Alex/Gloria for that matter.

What ever is chosen I am a willing participant... I'll just have to put some extra time
in and start unlocking some stuff.

FlyingElf
06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
i agrea with Bgunner, think it will be better that way u pick GF tournament and post the time and the floor ^^[color=purple]

Thats actually not a bad idea...we could always just ignore the stats of anyone not in the league who joins...

BGunner
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Or, elf, we count all stats of all participants, but there's a minimum number of tournaments that one must play to be eligible for the playoffs. So the people that randomly show up, will be filtered out of playoff contention.

Scoring can be done by taking a picture with a digital camera of the leaderboard at the end of the tourney - UNTIL, the update (hopefully July) that enables a screenshot function built into HSG - that saves screenshots as jpegs on your PS3, then they can be easily transferred to a PC and uploaded/posted on a league scoring forum here or on another board - Japan already has this functionality, so we'll get it eventually.

MasonR
06-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm so in.

Agree with idea about using GFs. Tourns set up by players wouldn't be consistent, fair to everyone, or easy to organize. There are always enough GFs running, some of which have very interesting rules.

Awesome to hear about the screenshot feature thingy.

PHall07
06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Im in too. :) This Will Be A Start For Past League Members :)

FlyingElf
06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
The only problem I have with using GF tournaments is that oftentimes they restrict character use. It unbalances the playing field a bit when a player has max loyalty with a char and another player has little to no loyalty.

two-seamers
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Count me in as well.

Teresa
06-26-2008, 05:57 AM
me too :D

rowdybusch
06-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm in for this league...

I have to work my butt off too unlock more stuff (mainly courses)
then I have to get good at playing on them ;)

Looks like I have about 9-10 days to prep.

Looking forward to playing all of you!

Anyone feel free to send me a friend request... My PSN ID is in my sig.

BADASS_BILLY
06-26-2008, 08:30 AM
It unbalances the playing field a bit when a player has max loyalty with a char and another player has little to no loyalty.

Well, if you're hardcore enough you should be leveling up loyalty any time you get a chance. I really don't think this will be for the casual gamers anyways so if you want to compete you will need to do the necessary preparation. My 2cents. ;D

MasonR
06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Agreed about the loyalty issue, that's how all tourns are run, not just GFs. There's almost always a character restriction, that's how online play is. If you haven't maxed a character's loyalty, then it's something you'll have to deal with.

GFs are a controlled environment and everyone will have the opportunity to see others play. Separating it into a bunch of New Reals will just be complicated, and we can't guarantee that everyone will abide by the rules. Besides, it'll screw with the point totals if we have to keep track of several new reals instead of a single GF. Again, it's just a more controlled environment.

myfirstpar
06-27-2008, 02:33 AM
hi, the idea of a leauge sounds fabulous, but with such a differnce in time zones, it means playing at 3 am for me. A bit of a stumbling block. I am not the only GBR player who would like to play so does anyone have any suggestions?

myfirstpar
06-27-2008, 03:17 AM
Hi all, in my opinion, gfs would have to be used, just to accomodate the vast numbers that would like to play. A games room is a good idea, but only holds 8 players.

Teresa
06-27-2008, 08:53 AM
yea differ between time zone is annoying problem and i think the only way is to play in weekends but still i don't have problem since i don't have school, when the league will start ?

rowdybusch
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
There could be some kind of compromise if time zones are an issue. Separate tourneys...
East/West conference, North America vs World etc... then each seed could have a match play
game 1 vs 1 2 vs 2 3 vs 3 etc.... on a weekend or something...

But before getting in to that kind of detail we should see how many people want to play.
Have some trial runs

Just some thoughts.

fizzgog
06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
please add me to the list of people who want to join the league.
thanks
...pete

PHall07
06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
i like the idea rowdy but im just not feeling it ;)

two-seamers
06-27-2008, 11:21 PM
ok here's the only problem...all of us want to play league, but also there's another site starting "rival" play. google hsgworld.com it's something like that anyway. We really need to have 1site to set this up and generate the most people. I suggest gamefaqs, i'll post something on there, i've seen several people from here post there b4 too.

PHall07
06-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Heres the other problem Hsgworld .com has been there for years and years

Morpheus
06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
As far as Tourney's, let me know if there is anything that we can do, whether it be as far as this forum is concerned or the main site (hotshotsgolf.com). We would love to be instrumental in assisting any way that we can.

As most may know, our sites are independent of Clap Hanz and the Sony network, so any direct integration with their network probably would not be feasible. Nonetheless, we have some of our own web development resources that could possibly be utilized, if we had a good direction to head in for something that was simply web based.

Morpheus
06-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Heres the other problem Hsgworld .com has been there for years and years

On to Phall07's point. Our emergence on the seen several weeks ago was not specifically to compete or to take away from HSGWorld.com, GameFaqs or any other site for that matter. However, our assumption was that 9 times out of 10, the first place an HSG fan would go to find HSG Info and to hang out with people of like interests, would be simply HotShotsGolf.com. However, the ability to do that has been lacking since the emergence of HSG 1 back in 1998. For the first 8 years of the HSG series, the domain name "www.hotshotsgolf.com" was simply forwarding all traffic to the Sony HSG game page.

With the demand increasing for a central place for all hsg fans to go to, and in an effort to simply enhance the HSG fan experience, this network of sites was launched and here we are today. You are at the ground level of what we hope will be the "mecca" of the HSG online experience.

cougar300
06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Count me in if it gets going!

FlyingElf
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
awesome guys, I just got back from being out of town and I'm glad to see the interest this has generated. I'd really like to get started next monday. I'll get a more concrete set of rules and such posted here soon as well as how I plan on tracking stats and what not.

In order to keep the tournament generation as random as possible, Monday July 7th I want people to join the first GF tournament listed on Floor 5 between 6pm and 6:15pm EST. If there is no GF tournament during that time, move to floor 6, then 7 and so on until you find one during this time. I'll try to post the specific tournament on the forums as soon as I can to prevent confusion, but as I work during the day, that may not be until a half hour/hour before the event. Also remember to take into account time zones when you pick your tournament.

As for the forced character selection that tournaments is gonna put on us. Some people are simply better with some characters than others. So with randomly generated characters some players will have a slight advantage over others. I mean even the best players at games have strengths and weaknesses. The only positive I can say on this is that over the course of numerous tournaments this should even itself out.

Anyway though, I look forward to play with you all a week from now.

lord_cracka
07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I am in for the league.

Just a thought........

How about a match play ladder? I dont know how this would be tracked but I have seen them before. This would allow people in the league to meet in the lobbys and play a quick match when there is nothing else going on.
I guess a web page for the results to be posted and standings shown would be needed.

FlyingElf
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to helping track a match play ladder too. Something like that I would prefer to use the ELO ranking system which is what they use in chess and such.

The biggest problem I see is tracking results. How can we have a system for people to accurately and truthfully track results?

lord_cracka
07-01-2008, 01:22 PM
That would potentially pose an issue but I would hope we could count on a certain level of honesty. But once that screen shot thing comes, if ever, you could submit a snap shot of the final results page.

Didnt I see admin volunteer to help with web site stuff? Could they have a role in this? Maybe a site for posting............dunno just thinking out loud.

FlyingElf
07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
If the admin would be willing to supply any kind of resources for tracking, I would happily accept them. As it stands now I was hoping for at least a sticky pots on this forum where I can actively track results and edit as needed.

But yeah, for the match play stuff, you really would hope people would be honest as its just a fun sort of thing, unfortunately not everyone is...the screenshot feature will help a lot though for this league in general.

BGunner
07-01-2008, 01:54 PM
We already have about 14 players interested in a match play league - this would be separate from any GF league that we devise.

The match play is set up with players broken into different divisions and conferences - you play people in your division 2 or 3 times, people in the other conference once and then standings (W-L record) determines playoff qualifiers - and then a March madness-like bracket with seedings determines the match play playoffs champion.

Any thoughts?

Morpheus
07-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Looking into the image/screenshot posting feature.....

FlyingElf
07-01-2008, 02:11 PM
We already have about 14 players interested in a match play league - this would be separate from any GF league that we devise.

The match play is set up with players broken into different divisions and conferences - you play people in your division 2 or 3 times, people in the other conference once and then standings (W-L record) determines playoff qualifiers - and then a March madness-like bracket with seedings determines the match play playoffs champion.

Any thoughts?

Thats not a bad idea, but I would imagine that there will be weaker and stronger divisions...still if you can't get past your own division you wouldn't last until the end anyway and if you do squeak by on a weaker division, you'll be exploited come tournament time.

I'd be down for playing.

lord_cracka
07-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I like that idea. You would need time frames in which people need to complete their matches, 1 week for example or all three matches in your division in 2 weeks. This would keep it from lasting 6 years.
There would also have to be central location where information on upcoming matches and results would be posted........so people know who, when, where, etc.
Would there preset courses? Course A for match one, course b for match two...etc? Or just let participants decide?

These matches could count towards ladder rankings as well and ladder rankings could be used to decide matches that are not completed in the alloted time.

I'm a golf pro so I think of this crap.......sorry if it is too much....:)

Morpheus
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM

LOL

You may throw around the idea of a Town Hall meeting of some sort in the new chat room. It may help bounce ideas around a little. Just a thought....

FlyingElf
07-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I like that idea. You would need time frames in which people need to complete their matches, 1 week for example or all three matches in your division in 2 weeks. This would keep it from lasting 6 years.
There would also have to be central location where information on upcoming matches and results would be posted........so people know who, when, where, etc.
Would there preset courses? Course A for match one, course b for match two...etc? Or just let participants decide?

These matches could count towards ladder rankings as well and ladder rankings could be used to decide matches that are not completed in the alloted time.

I believe when the room is set up you can choose a random course function...I would say do this...unless of course both opponents agree on a course.

As for times...I would like to have all matches starting on the same time/day and then if both opponents agree, it can be switched. Otherwise you don't play a match and both opponents cry foul on the other that they weren't available at a convienent time to play...

What tour do you play for? Just curious...

FlyingElf
07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Edited first post to include final rules for the league. Any comments/questions/concerns/suggestions on changes should be made asap as once the league starts all settings are final.

lord_cracka
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
League rules look good!
I think working on somthing for a match play event/ladder would add too it. I would be willing to be a part of running this if we can come up with a method.

You going to use the forum to post all results and such?

I work at a country club........golf pro and professional golfer are VERY different! LOL....thanks tho!

FlyingElf
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
League rules look good!
I think working on somthing for a match play event/ladder would add too it. I would be willing to be a part of running this if we can come up with a method.

You going to use the forum to post all results and such?

I work at a country club........golf pro and professional golfer are VERY different! LOL....thanks tho!

yeah I know, but I also didn't wanna sound insulting when you were like bitch I play for the Nationwide tour or something like that, haha.

And yes I was just planning on posting results on the forums. Probably in a table type format on a seperate post. Hopefully the admin will sticky it for me...

I'm sure some things in the rules will need to be tweaked as we go on. Admitedly I have not run anything like this before and I never owned a PS2 broadband adapter to take place in the old HSG leagues. I do however have experience running leagues in the form of fantasy football though which is why I tried to draft a set of rules thats fair to everyone including not just choosing my favorite or best courses for the finals...I actually hate Highland and Euro Classic always seems to give me problems, haha.

As for the match play stuff...I'm all for doing it, but I'd like to keep it seperate. That or perhaps at the end of 10 weeks we'll have a fun events where we seed everyone and pair them off in a match play tournament style.

BGunner
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Just to share a couple of options: when we did a match play league previously, the course and holes were set to random - the entire season was played on a specific tee (reg or long, duh) - no rules, no points match - any character, clubs, and ball that you want. As a good starting point, here are the "official" rules that we used to play under, of course, just due to basic differences b/t Fore & OB, some won't apply this time around...... I apologize in advance if this is very large - and also, unfortunately, I don't have this as a word file....[pdf is now available below - admin]

FYI - click on the photos below to expand & read

Morpheus
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
And yes I was just planning on posting results on the forums. Probably in a table type format on a seperate post. Hopefully the admin will sticky it for me...

Of course, we can take care of that if need be. More ideally, however, a specific board/category on the forum can be created for this, and we can assign a moderator (or group of moderators) to manage those boards. That way, the actual members of the league will have direct access to everything on that board, instead of waiting on myself or any of the other admins.

BGunner
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
ok here's the only problem...all of us want to play league, but also there's another site starting "rival" play. google hsgworld.com it's something like that anyway. We really need to have 1site to set this up and generate the most people. I suggest gamefaqs, i'll post something on there, i've seen several people from here post there b4 too.

I agree completely, 2 seam, but gamefaqs board is probably the worst option - it doesn't have the functionality that standard php boards have - attachments, links, http code, etc. Yes it has the members, but that's all it has, it doesn't take much to change your bookmark and simply come here than there.

The whole idea in the formation of this site was to have a single source for all things HSG. And as far as hsgworld.com is concerned, there has been talk about shutting 'er down as it's literally a server in some dude's bedroom so any freezes or power outages that occur aren't addressed 'til he comes home from work.

FlyingElf
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Of course, we can take care of that if need be. More ideally, however, a specific board/category on the forum can be created for this, and we can assign a moderator (or group of moderators) to manage those boards. That way, the actual members of the league will have direct access to everything on that board, instead of waiting on myself or any of the other admins.

If you want to take the time to set it up, that would be cool. I'll manage with whatever you give me, haha.

And as for the gamefaqs comment...I agree...I hate the boards there...which is why I never really posted there ever...

Adman
07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
If I remember I'll be there. Might be a good idea to have someone post the exact GF we're joining once we know what's available (i.e. 11-12 hours or so before it's due to start).

FlyingElf
07-02-2008, 05:41 PM
If I remember I'll be there. Might be a good idea to have someone post the exact GF we're joining once we know what's available (i.e. 11-12 hours or so before it's due to start).

I will, but I'll only be able to do it an hour ahead of time or so as I work until 5.

Morpheus
07-02-2008, 07:10 PM
FlyingElf and I are setting up/testing a dedicated new board that he wuld moderate. We'll keep you posted on the progress, and when its ready to be opened up.

lord_cracka
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
I couldn't open the match play rules thing.........

I am really interested in that and some kind of continuosly running match play thing. So if I meet so and so from the league/group in a lobby we can play a match and post the results somewhere..........you can then see the running results on a page somewhere......pipe dream? maybe. There were many sites that did this for Links 2003.

I am in for the bracket format too though.

FlyingElf
07-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Remember guys, league starts tomorrow (Monday at 6pm EST). I look forward to seeing you all there.

BGunner
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Waaah? League starts when, where? Where's the info?

FlyingElf
07-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Waaah? League starts when, where? Where's the info?

In the first post on this thread.

Morpheus
07-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey FlyingElf, check your PM the next chance you get. Thanx.

Scotty9678
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
According to my eyes that makes it:

Okinawa Bunker +2 Cup with Suzuki

9 holes (blah!)

fizzgog
07-07-2008, 02:10 PM
r u sure scotty, i thought it was at oceania.
pete

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the posting...God I hate Suzuki...Then again I am admitedly weak with any character with a curve...sucks having to use one of your items to fix that crap, but its better than knocking it all around the course...

Its only this game though...all the older HSG and even the current PSP one I have no trouble with characters with a curve...some I even preferred them...

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Remember to check floor 5...The first GF tournament listed starting between 6 and 6:15 EST. So remember to adjust your time zone too if need be. I'll post officially what it is when I get home in about an hour...

fizzgog
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
hi again, 5 est = midnight bst.

1st GF inbetween 5est & 5.15est & from floor 5 downwards = floor 10 @ 5.10 est

(oceania, novice, 9 holes, DQd if water or OB)

please can some one confirm this.
pete

Scotty9678
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
the tournament you are saying is 7pm (710) EST.....and the first post in this thread said 6pm eastern not 5p....

fizzgog
07-07-2008, 02:49 PM
looks like i dont know my timezones, i think that i might of added an hour for BST rather than taking an hour off ;(

see you all on the course
pete

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Scotty is right...it is the Suzuki only 9h out, Okinawa Sand +2 normal speed. Starts at 6:15 EST, floor 5

rowdybusch
07-07-2008, 03:09 PM
It's actually EDT eastern daylight time... GF Okinawa G.R. Bunker +2 Cup Suzuki Limit 9H

Adman
07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I count 3 people signed up including me, with 57m until meeting.

edit: 14 now with 3 minutes to go. Hope they're all from here.

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
We ended up with 18...2 quitting before the end. Results posted on the league board. Thanks to all who showed up. I hope you had fun. A suggestion was made to pick the first 18h GF tournament which I think is a good idea, however for this season, lets not change anything yet, but thats something we'll probably change for next season.

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
btw, does anyone want to help me keep stats? It would help double check my numbers and may help get any stats I may miss...It was really hard to get everything written down before the timer ran out and I almost screwed up a couple places.

So any volunteers?

Adman
07-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Do you not own a digital camera? It'd be easy to just take a couple pics of the finish and you'd have plenty of time.

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Actually...no I do not...I have a cell phone, but picture quality is really bad...I didn't wanna chance that it would be hard to read.

lord_cracka
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I have a camera and would be willing to snap a shot for the results. I should have no prob playing every week. If I wont be able to play I will try to let you know.

FlyingElf
07-07-2008, 10:25 PM
awesome, it would be much appreciated and should be a big help.

Scotty9678
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Floor 6 - Safari 9 Hole In - 18:10

Intermediate Only/Advanced Only/Hole Shuffle

Normx3

***Conflicts with a G0 tournament ENDING at 1811***

So I may do the sign up for THIS one, jump into that one trick and quit early if I'm out of it....which I usually am. :/

FlyingElf
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the posting

lord_cracka
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHH!

System update! Just got home from work................hope this finishes in time! If not I will not be taking photos elf.......

FlyingElf
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
yeah, I had to update late last night...it wasn't too bad. Hope you make it in though.

cougar300
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
what happened? i logged out for a min when there was at least 10 people there, then I came back & room was empty...?...

cougar300
07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
mf - it said there were 0 people in there so i didn't join - now it looks like it did go - wtf?

fizzgog
07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
unlucky cougar, that has happened to me before when trying to join a tourney.
play soon
pete

MrDeano
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi everyone, i would be interested in playing in this league too so add me to the league list please. I already have fizzgog on my friends list i think :) See you all for the monday tournament.

PSN ID : MrDeano

two-seamers
07-11-2008, 03:12 AM
just a quick thought....
although i'm interested in league play, this format won't work for me. I can't guarentee I'll be available 5-6est on mondays as sometimes i work later than other days. I'm still interested in playing, but for myself, a match-play format would be much more feasible.

Roughdawg4
07-11-2008, 09:22 AM
I am interested too but the times too are hard for me too.

Anyway you can add in a Friday or something.

FlyingElf
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Sorry, weekend play will never happen as long as I'm running the league. I'm out of town too often and even if I'm not out of town I simply prefer to hang out with friends as opposed to playing video games. Plus on top of it Thursday/Fridays are my late days at work so I'd have to push back start time.

FlyingElf
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
May not be able to make it to monday's league game, so could somebody please post the tournament and the results on the league forum for me please. Much appreciated.

Roughdawg4
07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I would like to play in today's tournament. I just wasn't sure if I needed to sign up or not.

FlyingElf
07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
You don't have to sign up on the forums, just show up. But yeah, I'm definitely not gonna make it tonight, going out with some friends for some real golf, haha. Well disc golf at least...So if someone else could track tonight I'd really apprecaite it. Thanks.

fizzgog
07-14-2008, 02:05 PM
hi elf, have fun, ill try to take a couple of pics of the final leaderboard
...pete

lord_cracka
07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
1600/Euro GC/9 hole in/big cup with ad on chick? eliminates me i guess...........

Tell me if that is the wrong tourney....hope so.

rowdybusch
07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I say Okinawa 18:15, in case people have not purchased Gloria

lord_cracka
07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Okinawa /1615 / 9h /shuffle...............sounds good

fizzgog
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
what we gonna do.

the :00 tourney has 3 people in and the :15 tourney has 2 people in.
i dont mind playing either but dont want to play the incorrect one.

pete

lord_cracka
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Suggestion:

Starting Wednesday, everyone who is going to play meet in lobby 10 floor 10 prior to the start. This will allow Elf to get all the names of league players and ensure that everyone is going to the same place.......

You agree Elf?

Roughdawg4
07-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe someone should post the tournament that we will play in, once the information becomes available. This will help avoid confusion.

fizzgog
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
good suggestions guys.

i skipped the :00 tourney and hope to see yous in the :15

....pete

rowdybusch
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
We definatly should meet up prior to the round.

Having 2 GF round on same floor make it difficult... though I thought it was the first one
to start @ 6:15 EDT so that eliminated the first one. Plus not everyone had bought the DLC

Morpheus
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Maybe someone should post the tournament that we will play in, once the information becomes available. This will help avoid confusion.

Elf, you might also consider using the Calendar (http://www.hotshotsgolf.tv/forum/index.php?action=calendar) to post the "official" information for each game. That way, we will all be on the same page.

FlyingElf
07-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Suggestion:

Starting Wednesday, everyone who is going to play meet in lobby 10 floor 10 prior to the start. This will allow Elf to get all the names of league players and ensure that everyone is going to the same place.......

You agree Elf?

Everyone should know where to go because the tournament is gonna be posted on the boards about an hour before start time. That should be the definite tournament people enter. If you're ever unsure on what to enter, thats the best way to find out.

Other than that, if people want to start meeting on floor 10 to maybe change up the tournament format and find an 18h tourney instead of constantly playing 9s, I would be more in favor of that. That or with numbers dwindling...we can just start playing single rooms if we get to 8 or less people...Thats not the goal though...I'd rather it get bigger before smaller. Regardless though, if we're gonna start that, lets wait until monday...over the weekend more people will see it.

The tournament should be the first one starting between 6 and 6:15 meaning 6 would take precedence normally. I had figured that one or two a year might be DLC ones...I know not everyone has it which is another reason I allow people to miss 5 tournaments a season.

cougar300
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow - today's is "really slow" - I can't deal with that :(

These need to be 18 holes and no slower than "normal".

I'd love to play, but I'm not going to take an hr to play 18 holes. Grr

FlyingElf
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Okay, question for league members then...do you want randomly generated tournaments like I have setup now or do you want me to pick something? Cause everyone argued before this started they wanted things as random as possible, but all anyone has done is complain about the random generator. So please vote on one side or the other...I don't really care either way.

fizzgog
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
come on cougar, its only 9 holes.
hope to see you there
pete

cougar300
07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd prefer you pick one - too many 9 holers and slow tourneys

Anything between 6:00 & 7:00 is prob ok w/ most ppl I'd think.

Just post it & we'll follow :)

Roughdawg4
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
as long as I get notice with a tournament, even if it is a few hours before hand, I don't mind waiting to pick a tournament.

At least we can cut down on confusion and try out different courses.

fizzgog
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
i dont mind either way so will go with the majority.

must get this splnter out my butt from sitting on the fence

pete

lord_cracka
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I like the idea of meeting or having a post before hand. Elf could decide a couple hours prior or we all meet at a certain time and decide from there. Could get a little more variety that way and its still random depending on whats available.

just my opinion

rowdybusch
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Seeing that the numbers are dwindling we have to do something to fan the flame.
having 6 participants in the week 2 #4 tournament was kind of disappointing.

If we are voting for a specific way to run a tounament I think that it should be like this.

Use the random generator as a guideline: It will choose the "course"
Use same parameter, first GF "course" on floor 5 or higher. But I say we run
the league in game rooms 1-8 ppl = 1 room 9-16 ppl 2 rooms etc. GF 18H Normal speed
no character restrictions. every other week we can add a +2 to mix it up Monday Long tee
Wednesday Regular tee. (hopefully this doesn't sound confusing)

Have a time frame to get the game completed & submit the final screen shot to the league board.
this could allow a certain time zone group to play with each other.

There will be some minor variances with wind & pin locations however it couldn't be
too much cause we are in contol of most of that. This would be if multiple rooms are
being used.

Otherwise I will stick to the original plan cause I've been to every event so far and I was
having fun. I am just dissapointed that we don't have numbers to show for Elf & the sites
efforts.

FlyingElf
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
A hole can play pretty differently depending on pin placement and wind. I don't think anyone would argue that some holes are substantially harder with bad pin placement or a wind that doesn't let you attack the hole. I would prefer everyone to play under the same conditions if its possible.

As for numbers dwindling...I've had a couple complaints on a couple things...and I feel I've addressed them in a fair manner, yet people aren't showing up. I just want to know what it is that needs to change? If you're upset about the courses or slow timers, thats fine, I'll manually pick the conditions for every tournament. That or I'll pick the first tournament that suits the needs within a reasonable time span. That or its also been suggested that we meet on floor 10 in lobby 1 at 6 and vote in a tourney to play in. I'm open to doing any of those, but I need more input...especially from those not showing up anymore...

Personally I'm one whos always hated the +2s...I mean hitting it in the bunker or rough is penalty enough. This isn't Pangya or another golf game where hitting it in the rough means you go like 5% less distance...Most of the shots out of the rough/bunker are really tough as it is and already are gonna cost you a stroke...I mean in all honestly I'd rather hit it OOB on most shots than hit a +2 rough/bunker.

rowdybusch
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Just throwing some ideas around....

Really I just want to play...
I hope this league can get off its feet.
I especially don't mind getting schooled by better competitors.

I was fooling around yesterday and played 18H on crown +2 rough
with Nick... I wanted to tie that little dude up after it was over...
I hit a +36... like i would have if I was on this course for real...

Then I was able to play with 2 G0 (I am G2) players in a "stroke game" My first
experience at that format. It was interesting to see how other people
play the game, we were playing on Oceania 9H It was loads of fun.

I am going to see if I can get some others to play...

~Rowdy

FlyingElf
07-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love new ideas being thrown around. I was just commenting on them.

But yeah I love the competition too...Thats why I started this...to see if my style of play can hold up against some of the better players...Then again I haven't been able to play my style at all lately...It requires me staying calm and focused...neither of which has been very easy for me as of late, haha.

Roughdawg4
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
There was alot of people in the 3rd tournament that I played. I think it will slowly grow as time goes on.

The problem is the site wasn't created until a few months after the game was already out. Some people might have lost interest.

lord_cracka
07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
The league is a blast! I think part of the fun of having one is this very forum......chatter amongst folks with similar interests about a game that they are trying to make even more enjoyable.

As for growth.............it seems that if we could get more people to view this forum we could get some more to jump on board. I think the demand is there but people are just not aware that this type of thing exists. There are what? Five people making posts on this thing? I know there are not thousands of people actively playing online but certainly we can do better.

I don't know how to change my personal greeting so if someone could tell me I will change it to,
Visit: hotshotsgolf.tv/forum for league info
or somthing like that......it might help a little
maybe name the league as well and have that posted in the intro so people might ask questions....

Just some thoughts!

Roughdawg4
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
It is going to take time. Things just don't jump out in the middle of the night. I am sure we can do some things to help it progress a little further.

I can try posting something in my walkthroughs. Between both of my walkthroughs, they get somewhere between 300-500 hits a day, and that doesn't even count other sites it is on.

I will try promoting this website on it and see if it helps.

rowdybusch
07-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey Roughdawg,

That sound like a great idea.
I can't thank you enough for all the time you have put in to those walkthroughs.
Way better than the manual that comes with the game itself.

You also keep updating it! I like finding out new stuff and with your guide it has
really helped me along the way. I still have not come close to getting everything.

Thanks again!

I'm going to see if I can get more people to play and somehow figure a was to
let other people who don't know about this site to get over here.

Roughdawg4
07-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you, I am really glad you like it. It is actually has gotten really nice since alot of people have been contributing more and more to it.

By the way, if anyone ever has any tips on a hole that I have not covered, feel free to email me or post it here.

rowdybusch
07-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Can anyone see which tournament we will be playing in today?

I'll be at work until 5pm EDT
If someone can post the Floor/Course ETC... maybe more people will see it and join.

Thanks!

Rowdy

MrDeano
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes if someone can post the tournament room/time here about 1 hour b4 it starts then i will come and play in it. I've only unlocked the 1st 4 courses so far but i have purchased the australian course. Hoping it will be a 18 hole tournament but if just a 9 hole then so be it. Hope to see you all there later :)

fizzgog
07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Can anyone see which tournament we will be playing in today?

I'll be at work until 5pm EDT
If someone can post the Floor/Course ETC... maybe more people will see it and join.

Thanks!

Rowdy

hi guys, it looks like tonights tourney is on floor 5 @ :15
highland long / novice / 18 holes / normal / normal / normal
hope to see you all there
pete

HawaiiD
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Aloha My first post here!

I was wondering how do you join the league?
what is the format? I see your schedule mainly favors the
eastern time zone.I mean even people in Cali would have a tough
time making league tee times let alone Hawaii if you work during the day.
I could probably make some Monday leagues because I have a day off.
So back to my original question?Do I just join the GF tourney 6:15 est floor 5?
Thanks to Rowdy for pointing out this site to me!
Aloha HD

FlyingElf
07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
yes, just join that tourney. For next season I may push time back a bit...we'll see...

MrDeano
07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I just signed up for the tourney, got 11 players in now, see you all there :)

Roughdawg4
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
yeah unless we got a bunch of new players I think we should have picked a different room.

26 players ?

HawaiiD
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
yes, just join that tourney. For next season I may push time back a bit...we'll see...

Thanks !

cougar300
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
where's the game today? 1st I see 18 and not slow is 6:25 at Euro No Power...

cougar300
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Where is everyone? >:(

Roughdawg4
07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I am sorry I cannot make it today.

cougar300
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
I'll never get enough starts - out of town next wed & I've missed 3 when I've been around...oh well...

Not sure wtf is going on today...

fizzgog
07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
we are in the the tourney now. it was posted on the league sub section.

crown @ :00 sasha 9 hole slow

sorry you missed it mate

pete

MrDeano
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
what time is the tourney today ?

cougar300
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
they were always posted here before - JC

and I thought they were going to be 18 and not slow anymore? Ugh - how do you expect to get a crowd like this?

Morpheus
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
we are in the the tourney now. it was posted on the league sub section.

crown @ :00 sasha 9 hole slow

sorry you missed it mate

pete

I may suggest posting the tourney times/details in the calendar. All members should currently have rights to do so. That should make it a little more convenient for members to find the details instead of searching through posts. (http://www.hotshotsgolf.tv/forum/index.php?action=calendar)

just a suggestion.

Morpheus
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
In addition, once we start getting a little consistency and the rankings start becoming defined (maybe a few more tourneys in), we can list who the top 5 to 10 players are in the league on the home page of the forum. I think if that becomes more visible, it may get people motivated to compete...to see if they can bump their way to the top. Just a thought.....

Roughdawg4
07-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I am on another website, and they have a ladder in place. It would be nice if we can setup a ladder at some point. Because tournaments can count towards the ladder, but also random matches. So people can get together whenever.

lord_cracka
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I have mentioned a ladder a couple of times. We just need a way to allow people to post the results and have the ladder update. Whether this is done manually or uses one of the programs I have seen on other sites I dont know. I bet if you were able to get somthing up and running it would not take long to get people on board.

Roughdawg4
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I am on a ladder and it started with 5-8 people and now we have 30. Having a ladder where people can play anytime really appeals to everyone.

Morpheus
07-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I could easily take care of doing it manually, simply posting the top 10 or so from the "League Results" board (http://www.hotshotsgolf.com/index.php?topic=48.0). That would be a manual process, and I would simply update it periodically...nothing automated.

I will look into what type of development resources would involved in incorporating a ladder of some sort into the board. Stay tuned....

Roughdawg4
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't know if it would help, but I can post the site I am on the ladder. Maybe it might give you an idea on what to have?

Morpheus
07-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Sure!

FlyingElf
07-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I like the idea of a ladder...I know how to set something up for strictly 1vs1 play. You just do rankings like chess...everyone starts at 1500, when you win or lose you go up or down depending on the ranking of your opponent. Obviously it doesn't penalize you as much for losing to a strong opponent.

But yeah, any ideas how to setup for matches past 1vs1? Anyone know of a calculator online that can do it?

Roughdawg4
07-24-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.thegamesvillage.com/ladder_old/ladder.php?ladderid=84

I think the way the ladder works, you only move up if you beat someone better than you.
If you do beat someone better than you then you move up both your ranks added together and then divided by 2.

So if you are in 5th and you beat the person in 1st. You will rise to 3rd.

fizzgog
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
i used to be in an online pool ladder with a site called "rankmonsters" they had tourneys and ladder matched where u would gain points for a win based on both your positions. ie the higher the person you beat, relative to yourself, the more pts you get.

not sure about an online calculator tho, i will have a look around. - how about this:
http://webscripts.softpedia.com/script/Miscellaneous/PHP-Game-Ladder-33162.html

pete

Morpheus
07-24-2008, 03:56 PM
No need for us to reinvent the wheel. There are software packages out there that should be able to easily handle a ladder/tournament utility. We have a few in mind that we have begun to research, in addition to some submitted from members.

Whatever we get, we'll be sure it integrates with the forum fairly seamlessly so we don't have to jump between sites.

As usual, i'll keep you posted. Anyone else with ideas, feel free to shoot em my way....

fizzgog
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
i agree morpheus check my link for a possible piece of software - you will know better than me whether its suitable.

http://webscripts.softpedia.com/script/Miscellaneous/PHP-Game-Ladder-33162.html

pete

Morpheus
07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
We'll check it out. Thanx for the input!

cougar300
07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
As long as people are "registered" here...so you know who the people are that aren't just happening to be at the right place at the right time, why have a min # of tourneys you have to play in? It's total points, so it shouldn't matter.

fizzgog
07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
hi Cougar, hows u? i think that it is actually your average points per tournament that determine the final ranking.
therefore if someone was to only enter, say just 1 tourney and win it, they would have a good chance of topping the standings against those who play 15-20 tourneys and get an average pts total.

hope to see you on Monday
pete

Roughdawg4
07-27-2008, 07:46 PM
you actually lose 1 point a tournament after you miss 5, so your average will go down if you don't play.

FlyingElf
07-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah it is average and yes if you don't play your average will go down.

This season rules are not going to be strictly enforced. This is really turning into more of a training than anything else. It lets me see what works and what doesn't as well as just how many and who is interested. Sure its still gonna finish and everything and it will be done in a fair manner to all, but I don't want to discourage anyone from showing up. I'd like to see as many people as possible playing.

Roughdawg4
07-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know what today's tournament is?

Morpheus
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Floor 5, 6:00 start, Highland, 18h, regular tee, Standard/Standard, Novice only, fast/normal/normal

Morpheus
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Info on the Ladder...

http://www.hotshotsgolf.com/index.php?topic=67.0

FlyingElf
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Note for those planning to play in Wednesday's tournament...it looks like theres a system update, so make sure you take some time beforehand to DL and install it.

rowdybusch
07-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up Elf.

I was going to be a little late getting home but I have made other arrangments

Rowdy

didikong99
07-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Is the update available yet, because I don't get home until about 530 and as long as some of those upsates take I would be pushing to have it done at 6

FlyingElf
07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
I downloaded the update late last night. So it should be available. It was a pretty quick update though. Much faster than a lot of the other ones.

Roughdawg4
07-30-2008, 07:33 AM
yeah I just did the update this morning. I think it took a total of 3-5 minutes for download and install. By far the quickest I have seen.

didikong99
07-30-2008, 07:54 AM
oh ok good... so what is different.... anyone know?

Roughdawg4
07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Sony has released its latest PlayStation 3 firmware update, but don't expect anything big in PS3 2.42. PS3 Update 2.42 addresses the quality in the playback for some PlayStation 3 format software.

http://digg.com/playstation/PS3_Update_2_42_Fixes_Audio_Playback

Roughdawg4
07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
It makes sense the update doesn't fix much since the download took a very short amount of time.

didikong99
07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
LOL.. I got it in my head that it was an OOB update not a PS3 update... either way it is good that it is short....

rowdybusch
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Well it looks like we are in for a doozy today people!

Floor 5 Okinawa 18H DQ if in rough!
Sasha Only, Advance Shot Only 18:15 (sorry forgot that one) ;D

DQ in rough is Harsh!

Roughdawg4
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
thats the one at 6:15 though right

Don't we do the one at 6:00pm

Okinawa
Novice Only
Regular Ball and Club

Roughdawg4
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
my bad 6:00pm is a G3 sorry everyone. My mistake.

MrDeano
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
so is it the 6pm or the 6.15pm tourney today ?

MrDeano
07-30-2008, 03:47 PM
i just booked into the 6.15pm tourney room 5, hoping thats the right one :)

rowdybusch
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Well people that officially sucked...

Powered up on 7th Tee, Roll out of bounds.... DONE like dinner!

Ah well... That was an interesting way to play....

Catch you all next time!

Rowdy

Knowledge
08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Here is my first post.

Nice to get out on these boards for a change

-Knowledge

BTW get me into the tourney if I can play tonight that would be great.

two-seamers
08-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Is it too late for me to play in this??? I'd like to be involved in any match play/tournaments on here told Morpheus so and am anxiously awaiting the ladder system.

Roughdawg4
08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
You can definetly join the league.

two-seamers
08-16-2008, 07:32 AM
roughdawg,
is it on monday or wednesday? and what time?

Roughdawg4
08-16-2008, 08:03 AM
both. Read the topic for league instructions it explains everything. Generally the tournaments are at 6pm

jesonandmel
08-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Do I sign up or just show up to Lobby 10 Room 10?