PDA

View Full Version : Spin Precedence Question

Gaoler
05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Not that this is a huge issue but I have a question on which spin takes precedence when using a hybrid spin, e.g. sss with sbs or sts and under what conditions it changes? I thought that side spin would always activate a spiral with a pin touch regardless of whether back spin or top spin was applied. In this game there seems to be a point where side spin applied to a shot 'disappears' if another spin is applied in conjunction with it depending upon the amount of roll to the pin. For example, I managed to get an albatross on Kaguryama (?) #2 (RT) using Gloria with sssts. The ball rolled approximately 25-30 yards, hit the pin and I got a riser albatross; I was expecting it to spiral. I routinely used hybrid spins in OOB to maximize my chances of getting a 'special' activated in the event I hit the pin and it seemed to work fairly well, but the rules (mechanics) seem to have changed and I was wondering if anybody could help me with some guidelines.

Senidol
05-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Recheck the vod of the shot, it is most likely that you simply missed input somewhere. SSS activated takes precedence over all other specials.

Gaoler
05-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Recheck the vod of the shot, it is most likely that you simply missed input somewhere. SSS activated takes precedence over all other specials.

I have checked it more than once, Sen thinking the same thing. It is very clear that I got the input correct which is why I'm asking; I always thought side spin took precedence also. Another example I have was on one of the driveable Par 4s on Maple. I used SSSBS,the ball landed in the rough (no bounce), ran and hit the pin dead center and deflected about 3m to the left. It was an easy eagle putt, but I was surprised the spiral didn't activate. When I get home next week I can upload the vids.

Marrow_Farmer
06-02-2013, 06:22 AM
I have checked it more than once, Sen thinking the same thing. It is very clear that I got the input correct which is why I'm asking; I always thought side spin took precedence also. Another example I have was on one of the driveable Par 4s on Maple. I used SSSBS,the ball landed in the rough (no bounce), ran and hit the pin dead center and deflected about 3m to the left. It was an easy eagle putt, but I was surprised the spiral didn't activate. When I get home next week I can upload the vids.

It does happen, seen same thing in EGWT on the short par 4 at REX (14?). I do miss my ssbs quite a lot as well, dodgy controller or dodgy fingers I know not but fairly often I play for ssbs and just get sbs.

Gaoler
06-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Wiping the egg off of my face. I fat fingered it and missed ss on the initial input but got it on the second. The problem was that I was watching it replay during the replay and it only shows the second input at impact, Doh! As soon as they finish uploading I'll post the vids anyway.

Gaoler
06-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Here's the first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V8lhGldoRKE

Gaoler
06-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Here is the second (spiral fail die to missed input).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBCJC9kDFFM

Still processing for some reason,

Senidol
06-11-2013, 08:59 AM
You already pointed it out, but just wanted to attempt to clarify for others. Nice Shots though sir.

The first shot is Down at Power + Northwest at Impact = Super Top Spin, Sidespin.

The second shot is up at Power + Southwest at Impact = Super Back Spin, Sidespin.

In the second shot the distance of the shot eliminates activated super backspin so it failed the Homing Check, the hard pin touch is just bad luck.

Concerning EGWT, MNG5, and HSG:OOB, since Loyalty rules are different for the specials you can get conditions where the "prioritized" shot fails to meet the check and the second shot in line activates in its place. This is not the case in 6

Basic Chart for Hole Outs.

http://i.imgur.com/aGlrzi8.jpg

TLDR Version = Spiral > Homing > Riser > Flag Shot > Kuru Kuru > Sloth.

Gaoler
06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Homing spiral? I've had those on/in OOB on occasion but I don't think it's happened in this version. I'll check my vids, but I think there was on one of the Par 3 holes on the Provence where I used sss and sbs and it landed just past the hole, back spun into the hole and looked like it tapped the pin before plopping in, but no spiral activated. Not sure though, maybe I just imagined it. I did have a spiral fail that literally hit the pin, but not centered(didn't get the 30 points for the pin touch), and deflected quite a bit. I didn't record it as I was so flummoxed about the fail, but if it happens again I will dutifully record it and post. Heck, with the high percentage of homing fails, I'm surprised I haven't had more spiral and rising fails. It just seems it's so difficult, for me anyway, to even get a pin touch, and when I do and it's homing and it seems like 70%fail rate, it just makes me want to not even play the game anymore. So now I tend to rely on spirals and risers more often and try to plan the roll out of the ball from when it initially hits the green. What I don't understand is for example in the second vid, why did the ball act like it hit a sprinkler head and skull like it had been shot out of a cannon? I do play golf IRL and I know, that even with a driver ( I hit a natural high fade), the ball would have landed gently and probably would have stopped in the rough or at most trickled out, if I was lucky. Oh well, I'll keep playing offline and get what enjoyment I can and reflect whether I'll buy the US/EU version when/if it comes out. Thanks for the assistance Sen and Marrow. On another note: If I owned any of the courses in the game, I would fire every greens keeper for not watering them as they all act like they're made out of concrete.

dimskill
06-13-2013, 12:50 AM
I thought Americans loved the "glass" greens?

Personally, I don't get any more homer failures on here than I did on OOB, and I can always attribute any failure to the green. I always got more failures on Crown than Highland, for example.

Senidol
06-13-2013, 01:39 AM
What I don't understand is for example in the second vid, why did the ball act like it hit a sprinkler head and skull like it had been shot out of a cannon?

It is a weird thing that the physics engine does. If you watch the shot, the ball catches the rough first when landing and on a down slope. In this game the first bounce into the rough acts as an accelerator. Who knows what they were thinking when they made it like this, but its actually a tactic a lot of use to reach otherwise non reachable areas of the golf course. Ideally you want a drive to hit the "edge" of the rough, one bounce into the fairway and it will be a much longer distance.

It is actually one of the major differences between the Ps3 and the Vita. In that the Vita "first rough bounce" is actually lower trajectory and runs much faster. While the Ps3 "first rough bounce" elevates slightly more and tends to come to a stop quicker. What is weird is that it is only the first bounce that acts this way, any proceeding bounces really put on the breaks.

So in that shot you get the "first rough bounce" on a down slope, hit the pin at high velocity, a pin that is considered severely downhill almost everything rolls to the fringe if below the cup there.

A couple examples of this, early on in the vita, a lot of people were wondering how I was reaching Kagurayama Hole 2 LT in Novice only tours, and it was because I was using ex power, 96-98% STS to the right of the fairway bunker, so it caught one piece of rough and rocketed to the green. Another example is hole 1 on legacy, on the Vita you can Ex power with max to the sloping hill on the right and the ball shoots forward at extremely high velocity towards the green. On the vita it is almost never stops on the green because of the higher velocity first rough bounce, but on the Ps3 with the slightly lower velocity you can reach comfortably, or you end up just short.