PDA

View Full Version : A G2 looking for advice to step up their game

USFman10
12-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone! First, I am happy to have found this site. I never knew it existed. I was looking for places on the web where HSG players gather, and it seems I have found exactly that!

Anyhow, I was hoping to get some advice on dealing with a # of problems/questions:

1) My biggest problem- Dealing with greens that are higher than and getting the balls to stick to the green once it gets there. Especially at distances over 120yds.

2) The wind!- Is there any tried and true method out there for making it a non-factor. I now that sounds a bit ridiculous, but I know some of you G0's are extremely good at this game.

3) Characters with high hooks- What is the advantage of using these players? I always stay away from them because of exactly that. But I see people using them a lot. Is this something I am missing out on by not playing with them? The hooks just seem too risky at times.

Well that is all I can think of for now. Thank you for any help you can provie

The-Dreamcaster
12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
right lemme give this a go.
1) higher green can be played in a few ways. firstly check the slope of the ground. on the right bottom corner is a ball, with a number in blue or red. red means you have uphill lie, which will cause your ball to fly higher than usual, where as a downhill slope will make it fly lower.
for uphill shots, you want super backspin to get the extra elevation and play it a little harder.

2) wind comes with practice. but i'm not that great at judging it. for a very rough guideline to wind, use the lines thatm appear in the grid square where your aiming. of course the further away you are, the more time the ball is affected by the wind, but this is usually counter by the fact your playing a low trajectory club. ask some1 else, i just play wind without thinking about it.

3) bends don't make much difference, but they can be a help and a hinderance. can help you get round trees, and sometimes do the quite the opposite. you can play sidespin to counter these bends, but often it will just go straight(kratos being a good example of this)

hope that helped a bit.

koudman
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyhow, I was hoping to get some advice on dealing with a # of problems/questions:

1) My biggest problem- Dealing with greens that are higher than and getting the balls to stick to the green once it gets there. Especially at distances over 120yds.

2) The wind!- Is there any tried and true method out there for making it a non-factor. I now that sounds a bit ridiculous, but I know some of you G0's are extremely good at this game.

3) Characters with high hooks- What is the advantage of using these players? I always stay away from them because of exactly that. But I see people using them a lot. Is this something I am missing out on by not playing with them? The hooks just seem too risky at times.

Well that is all I can think of for now. Thank you for any help you can provieHello everyone! First, I am happy to have found this site. I never knew it existed. I was looking for places on the web where HSG players gather, and it seems I have found exactly that!

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

1) Every shot is different and everybody probably has a different approach for dealing with greens than your hitting position. I normally take increase in height as extra yards (so 4 yards up is 4 yards extra distance) and add some backspin or superbackspin to make the ball stick to the green (although the spin really depends on the course, hole, pin position as sometimes it might be better not to use spin at all). If you want to use backspin/super backspin make sure that your character+setup gives you a good spin stat (B and up?)

2) Wind will always play a factor and the only way to learn how to correct for it is to play the practice course a lot and see the influence of the wind on where the ball ends up. Basically all of the players in g0 have done their time at the training course to understand the physics of the game better. Use a setup and character (Anya inf/inf) to make sure that you have great control so you more or less cancel out that influence (of course (super) perfect impact is required for the same reason as well :))

3) Characters that have high hooks usually come with a benefit too (e.g. better control, spin, distance stat) but they do require some getting used too. Normally giving opposite spin to the hook cancels out a lot of the hook. But some chars plain suck, you know who you are! (Bjorn)

4) Have a look at mingol.shihiko.net as he has some useful guides and tips&tricks.

5) Practice practice practice - Normally the higher grade players are quite cool and are willing to play a match play or stroke play match that will help you understand where they place the ball and how they get good scores :)

The-Dreamcaster
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
lol koudman, actually i've never spent anytime in the practice course working out stuff, i just try and hit barrels and the small cup and test out homing shots.
Bjorn isn't bad, good control.
but he is right, practice is a lot of it. G0's aren't g0's without practice.

1 tip i want to add, is go back to challenge mode, finish all of them under par, take on the character til you beat them by 3-up and get lvl 15.
every piece of equipment you can get is useful.
+ the extra practice is good too.

koudman
12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
There is always the naturally talented players that don't need practice right ;)

Damn didn't mean Bjorn (he is the little gay man right?) - Think I meant that bastard cowboy Nick :) (girlfriend owns the TV tonight so no HSG :))

The-Dreamcaster
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
oh right. i remember you hitting that ace on the oceania par 4 with the mine shaft.

Of course, this game is 99% skill and that little 1% luck, such as the percentage you get of the ball and the direction it goes.
% can't be eliminated, but direction can. S control can solve that. bounces are factual, roll of the green is a fact. but nobody can be bothered to take the time to check every green, as there often isn't enough time.

USFman10
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Thank you both for you help! It sounds like more than anything, I just need to practice more. One thing that still gets me though is super backspin and super sidespin. It's often talked about like it's not so hard to achieve. You need perfect impact for these, correct? Because, man, I get the super backspin only about 20% of the time that I try for it. Is there something I may not be doing when trying to achieve it?

The-Dreamcaster
12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
i sometimes slip, but for super backspin, you need to pi.
also you need to hold up on the d-pad until the club starts to swing down. then hold down all the way until you hit the ball.
Its damned useful for the extra height and bringing your ball back a bit(which is often travels further due to the sbs, which can on down hill shots make it fly up to 10yards further)

USFman10
12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks Dreamcaster. Ya, though it may not seem like it when I play. I know how to do the super backspin, it's just the exectution of it that it killing me... :-/ That is actually the least of my concerns right now.

Another quick question. Do I gain points for reaching the next level when I play in the GF tournaments? Because I keep getting killed in those, and I want to know if it's even worth it when the first place winner always shoots -11 on a par 9?

Dr_Amazak
12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Here's my advice (sorry for not addressing your issues):

1.) *DO NOT* and let me repeat that *DO NOT* only play the easy courses (IE Highlands or anything big cup) otherwise you will not be ready for the courses and rules they throw at you when you get to g1. You have to trust me on that. That was the mistake I made when I was first promoted to g1. Being a noob at the time, I thought taking the "easy" route would take me to the promise land, but I never envisioned what a struggle it was for me because I had little to no practice on the harder courses. So play anything available. Even if you lose, you'll get practice.

2.) Unlock everything and max out every character. High loyalty and the best equipment does wonders to your gameplay. As a result, you will get a huge advantage in each tournament you participate in. Even when you get to g1, it will still make things much easier going into tournaments.

3.) Work on approach shots with 99% power on shots you think you'll overshoot or generally think you'll have trouble approaching. That 1% differential does wonders.

dimskill
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Use the Force

USFman10
12-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I tried that too, Dimskill, but my midichlorian count is pretty low... :-\

yasdad
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Here's a bit of advice that works fairly well (with a bit of intuition thrown in) in calculating out the wind factor:

Take the wind speed (mine is in yards, I think) and multiply it by 1.5, then factor in a certain reduction for the direction (it's rarely perfectly left or right) and whatever number you come up with, move the guide that number of grid lines to compensate.

It's a very rough guide and you need to also compensate for lie: downhill, uphill, feet above or below ball etc. etc. etc. But with the old "practice, practice, practice" thrown in for good measure too, it'll be a good starting point.

Obviously, you'll need to adjust length according to the wind factor too.

As for holes above you, I find on the shorter shots (say around 130y or less), unless it's a big number, you can almost ignore it - the ball will have a high trajectory, so falling 10 yards less, will only make 2 or 3 yards difference. But ignoring the height for short chips is not so good - back to the 3 ps again ;)

Now, if only I could figure out how to play better in the wet, I might stand a chance of getting out of G1 :D

rinoshark
12-30-2008, 04:18 PM
the wind is actually quite simple. .8 of a block for every one mph. that goes out the window with any slope at all. .23 per block downhill putting. 1.3 uphill putting. that goes out the door w any curve. for a 7 iron.....if the hole is 10y^. hit about 3.5 long. 3.5 short if down. of course the trajectory of ur club changes all that. point is, look at ur game data on first option screen. the best generally play over a thousand rounds. thats all ill say bout dat.

p1um5mu991er
12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
WOW you'll get a lot of discussion about that advice rino

interesting how different each person's approach is to the game

yunatidus4ever
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Wind, I agree about 1 grid block per mph, but if it is waaaaaay downhill, about 1.5 blocks, if it is waaaay uphill, about half a block.

Ball lie is most important. That can change everything about the wind factor I just metioned above. You must compensate for which direction you ball will go (as it will not go straight if it is on a side~ slope)

Uphill/downhill makes huge difference as well. Your ball will go much further than anticipated on a downhill shot, you will hit much shorter uphill.

Always look at your ball percentages. If you set up your person with lousy control, you are much more likely to have lousy percents. you want 98-100 on approach shots, but if you have 96~100% you better get pi and use your triangle button and hope for 99~100.

But, i would say more important than that is to tackle a course. Pick one and play it over and over until you know each hole, each spot you land, the green and what kind of a roll it has, take notes in a notebook if you have to. After you "get to know" each course, you will find you can start kickin some serious golf clubs. I am still trying to tackle courses, this month it is crown.

The most help I received in this game: Playing game rooms with good players, in stroke or match play mode. Most are more than willing to help you with your game. And most on this site are very friendly as well!

Hope this helps ya!

rinoshark
12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
my advice is entirely accurate, go to the practice course, hit 5 shots, write down yardage, increase wind, write down, do math, simple. my point was that there are way too many variables to give him any this = this advice. its a true feel game. this aint tiger woods bs. practice, and experience are the only things that will improve your game. id love to know exactly, but i have heard that mason has played around 20,000 rounds. at 30min a round ur lookin at 10,000 hours of game play. about 5 yrs of 40hr work weeks. cars has played over 5000 rds, thats a little over a year of working 40hrs. so personally, my advice is make an OFFLINE match game w 4 users on one controller. use novice, sand rough +2, play the 4 hardest courses, reg and long, 10 times and i gaurantee u will get G0 very soon. when u do, play the rainy siver peaks long tee on the challenge mode w/ a novice all the time. cause then it gets hard. OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE = VERY IMPORTANT. SO MUCH FASTER PROGRESS

yunatidus4ever
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
my advice is entirely accurate, go to the practice course, hit 5 shots, write down yardage, increase wind, write down, do math, simple. my point was that there are way too many variables to give him any this = this advice. its a true feel game. this aint tiger woods bs. practice, and experience are the only things that will improve your game. id love to know exactly, but i have heard that mason has played around 20,000 rounds. at 30min a round ur lookin at 10,000 hours of game play. about 5 yrs of 40hr work weeks. cars has played over 5000 rds, thats a little over a year of working 40hrs. so personally, my advice is make an OFFLINE match game w 4 users on one controller. use novice, sand rough +2, play the 4 hardest courses, reg and long, 10 times and i gaurantee u will get G0 very soon. when u do, play the rainy siver peaks long tee on the challenge mode w/ a novice all the time. cause then it gets hard. OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE = VERY IMPORTANT. SO MUCH FASTER PROGRESS

Rino is absolutely right. The more rounds you play, the better you will get, and doing it offline is much faster than on. It does boil down to the "feel" of it, especially on getting PI with specific characters and dealing with rain/wind/slope ect.

clint_westwood
01-29-2009, 07:12 AM
actually the wind is kinda tricky, what i do is ignore the block that the pin is situated on for starters.....

then its a block and a bit per MPH based on a straght crosswind.......however forgetting about uphill ball lie or downhill ball lie you have to factor in the club you are using.......a 7iron has a higher launch angle than a 3 iron etc etc thus affected by the wind more.

but as a general rule i use the block system and then a bit of feel thereafter..