Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

1. Default Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

I ask because I get my butt kicked all the time in HSG:OB, but was one of the best in HSG:Fore on the PS2 (me playing HSG4 on my PS3 for 8months before OB came out doesn't count folks! That was rough as heck.) So this is kind of painful for me.

I score better using ADV, but I like to use TRAD to be honest.

But lets forget about me for a minute and back to the question at hand.

Is perfect impact not good as an intentional shank? There's something fundamentally wrong if the answer yes. Not a glitch in the game that golfers exploit, but darn near so IMO. And before I get flamed, I am not HATING, I repeat I am not HATING. If it's in the game, it's all good 8)

Does one need to learn rabbit and turtle to win? Or are there golfers out there that don't use it but still are on top; one of the best?

Also, if someone could post here or create a topic on how to perform a rabbit or turtle, I personally would appreciate it.

2. Default Re: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

well Bgunner is a trad player at level 20

i think there is too much emphasis on people turtle/rabbit shots as if its very very common, bearing in mind most players have 14 power shots and like me will prefer to use them on approach shots.

players may only turtle/rabbit a few times at most and its subject to character, i.e if its crowns gloria then i have no reason to turtle, every par 5 is reachable in 2, but once your way down at say novice characters then in the rain using crowns, unless you go the shotcut you may have to turtle just to reach the main faiway..

remember the risk of getting it wrong, i have went for a few turtles and pressed to soon only to send the ball straight into the rough...

you can win at g0 by not using the turtle/rabbits and as for learning them i suggest going to the training section and aiming way right /left and judging how far you have to aim to get the ball back into the centre line..

the thing is turtle/rabbit have to be in the game , if not then as soon as you miss the impact zone you would skull the shot................maybe just maybe in the next installment they may limit turtle /rabbit to 75% of distance thus making it pointless unless needing a major draw or fade
    http://community.eu.playstation.com/...thread.id=3875

SONY sunday fun nights click to join, no ones up their own a55

3. Default Re: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

Yep, I forgot about Brad......naaa he's a good bud of mine

Thanks for your insight on this matter also, clint. I was under the impression that some folks used it every drive, or even on other shots; I just didn't know.

If it's something that takes practice, and can be a real risk during a round, I'm going to have to pass on trying to learn it; I got my hands full with trying to get good at TRAD, and ADV, and every part of the game for that matter.

Default Re: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

And like Mr. Westwood stated, it's part of the game. I used trad shots (obviously) in every HSG before this, but now advanced is available to me. I learned how to use it, and everyone else has an equal opp to learn it too.

And it's not as if attempting turtles/rabbits are risk free or easy to project where the ball will land.
    I could do without them but I don't because it's risky and risk is what puts me on the pod every now and then.

<------I mean, look at Mr. T. He takes all the risks. Like a neck injury.
    Plum/p1/bubby/plumb/ploom/plummers/puddin/8utt5niffer/plummy/amarillo/mhm/slom/GuY/pruimsmokkelaar /pwunumfivemunininer/pwumm/99/p1umpkin/15991/plummybear/pum/Captain Chokestain/plym/rlom/naplum/slim

Although I can't be considered to be one of the best at this game, I can play close with the best on a good day, and I never use rabbits and turtles. When having a bad round I've sometimes tried it just to see if I can master it, but mostly have screwed up an already ruined game even more. If I really wanted, or needed, to use it, I'd go to the practice course and learn how to master it, but I can do perfectly well without... Like Clint says, there are only so many times you can really use it in a round, and I depend more on having my power shots available for a finely tuned approach rather than some extra yardage on the tee off shot.

So I'd say no; you don't NEED rabbits and turtles to beat the best, but when they use it and manage to reach the green in 1 rather than two, and gets an eagle as a result, it could certainly help though... But bear in mind the risk is great with those kinds of shots too. I prefer to play it safe... Better safe than sorry, after all. When doing risky shots I tend to end up sorry more often than not, so I've learned to rather ease it up, and let the others take their risks. Sometimes they win because of it, other times they screw up giving you the edge for safeing it instead... And since I don't feel that bad about losing to a great player, I can live with that.

I don't think it is necessary. At the most it might give you an extra stroke a match. Of course if you risk it and lose it, it might cost you a stroke or more.

7. Default Re: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

Rabbit/Turtle turn Sophie into an expert! (rabbiting is insanity compared to turtling tho)

8. Default Re: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

It's interesting to read the posts on this subject. I'm still very new, but have played many different golf games in the past - all using traditional-type play. But as soon as I put the disk in for OOB / EGWT, I used advanced. And I find it much easier to judge impact (usually), but obviously non-full-club shots are much trickier.

Regarding turtles and rabbits: I've seen them used a few times, but not often - probably because I'm not playing at the same level as those that do But I have to agree with what has been said before - I'm not going to try and use them when I've got power shots at my disposal. It's far too risky for me

I don't think on out of bounds it matters too much.

Now Open tee 2 is a different story. When I took a picture of my -15 on Nagawaka front 9 and posted it, that would have not been possible without rabbit/turtle. Unless you are a master of chipping from 50-60+ yards out a few times in a match.

10. Default Re: Does one need to master rabbit and turtle to beat the best?

Darn roughdawg, -15 on any 9hole is truly amazing, period.

So this is something that I need to learn, of course after my fundamentals are met. Maybe in year or so.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast